Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
Published: 10:38 PM, 4 December 2019 Updated: 10:43 PM, 4 December 2019
US President Donald Trump called Justin Trudeau “two-faced” on Wednesday after the Canadian Prime Minister appeared to be caught on camera joking about his press appearances during a chat with other leaders at a NATO summit in Britain.
Trudeau was filmed at a Buckingham Palace reception for NATO leaders on Tuesday evening describing how surprised U.S. officials appeared to be by Trump’s performance at an earlier news conference.
The conversation, which involved Trudeau, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, French President Emmanuel Macron, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Queen Elizabeth’s daughter Anne, was recorded on video and snippets were audible.
“Is that why you were late?” Johnson asked Macron.
“...It was like a 40-minute press conference,” Trudeau said. “Yeah, yeah, yeah! Forty minutes.”
Other words were exchanged but could not be heard, before Trudeau added with a chuckle: “I just watched his team’s jaws drop to the floor.”
Asked on Wednesday if he had heard Trudeau’s remarks about him, Trump said: “He’s two-faced”.
He suggested that Trudeau was upset because he had challenged him for failing to meet the target of spending 2% of national output on defense.
“I find him to be a very nice guy but you know the truth is that I called him out over the fact that he’s not paying 2% and I can see he’s not very happy about it,” Trump said at a news conference alongside German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Trump later appeared to make light of his own remarks about Trudeau.
“That was funny when I said the guy’s two-faced,” the president was caught saying on an audio clip following a lunch with some of the NATO leaders.
At a final news conference, Trudeau played down the incident, saying he and Trump had enjoyed a great meeting and that the jaw-dropping comment was a reference to the announcement of the location of the next meeting of G7 leaders at the U.S. presidential retreat, Camp David.
“Last night, I made a reference to the fact there was an unscheduled press conference before my meeting with President Trump, I was happy to take part in it but it was certainly notable,” Trudeau told reporters.
“We were all surprised and I think pleased to learn that the next G7 will be at Camp David, I think that was an unscheduled announcement and... I think every different leader has teams who every now and then their jaws drop at unscheduled surprises, like that video itself for example.”
- Rajshahi lift BPL crown
- Countrymen living in peace: IGP
- Putin to attend Libya peace conference
- Mushfiqur refuses to tour Pakistan for T20Is
- Private car driver killed in Narsingdi road mishap
- Reunion of Psychology dept begins in RU
- Rajshahi post 170 in BPL final against Khulna
- Anwar succeeds in Squash farming
- 6 held in Naogaon anti-narcotics drive
- ‘He just want to avoid his duty’
- Young Tigers` World Cup mission starts tomorrow
- Doyel’s ‘Toshok’ Int’l Film Festival
- Businessman killed in Rajshahi road crash
- 3 detained in Akhaura with yaba tablet
- Khulna obt to bowl in BPL final
- Huawei launches 5G smartphone in Kuwait
- Youth crushed under train at Pubail
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cricket Australia CEO to be in BPL final
- Turkey begins to deploy troops in Libya
- Iran strikes were ‘slap on face’ for US: Khamenei in Zummah
- 1 killed in Mirsharai road crash
- Fan waits 5 nights for Pooja Hegde!
- Garlic and Aloe Vera can cure dandruff forever
- Spicy chicken cauliflower roast
- Another one dies from mystery virus in China
- Tamim likely to miss Pakistan tour
- Popy wants to marry as Shakib searching for bride
- Police constable dies falling from roof of police control room
- Two killed after being hit by bus in Uttara
- All News »
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- Austrilia begins camel culling, 1500 shot on 1st day
- Historic Bangabandhu’s Homecoming Day today
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- 60 civilians killed in US attack in Afghanistan
- ‘Unintentionally’ shot down Ukrainian jetliner: Iran
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- British lawmakers finally approve historic Brexit deal
- PM mourns death of Oman Sultan
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 1st phase of Biswa Ijtema begins with ‘Aam Bayan’
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Homecoming Day
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- Gunman kills 3 in Thailand mall robbery
- PM opens Bangabandhu’s birth centenary countdown
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- 63 ‘terrorists’, 25 others killed in Niger army base attack
- Asia’s most costly cricket stadium to be built in Bangladesh!
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- PM to open the countdown of Mujib Year
- Country shivers as 4th cold wave of season begins
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Reaction of Canadian PM after Iran admitting mistake
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- Symbolic return of Bangabandhu after 48 years
- Nationwide Vitamin A campaign tomorrow
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final