Transport strike underway on various highways
Published: 12:55 PM, 25 April 2019
The 24-hour transport strike is going on in 19 roadways along Chattogram-Cox’s Bazar highway and 68 roadways including Chattogram-Dhaka highway.
The strike began from Wednesday 6:00 pm demanding the arrest of those involved in the murder of the bus driver by beating him to death by DB identity.
The strike was called from a meeting on Tuesday evening. Chattogram District Commissioner Md Ilias Hossain met transport workers at 5:00 pm on Wednesday at Chittagong Circuit House to withdraw the strike. District Superintendent of Police (SP) Nur-e-Alam Mina and several top officials of the police were present.
But workers’ leaders did not respond to the administration’s call. Firm standing on the strike, they called for a meeting with the workers’ federation officials at 11:00 am on Thursday. In the meeting, it will be decided whether the strike will be withdrawn.
“A group of men who identified themselves as DB police members stopped the Shyamoli Paribahan bus for searching Yaba when it reached Shantirhat area of Patiya upazila,” said Mohammad Musa, president of Bangladesh Road Transport Workers Federation Chittagong Regional Committee
He said, “They dragged bus driver Jalal Uddin, 50, hailing from Dinajpur, out of the vehicle and beat him up mercilessly 8 pm on Monday (April 22), leaving him severely injured.”
“Later, doctors declared the driver died when he was taken to Chittagong Medical College Hospital,” Mohammad Musa added.
“We called the strike to identify the killers of Jalal and bring them under the law. If there is no solution, the second phase of the strike will be enforced on all routes of five districts in the division for another 24 hours on April 28,” Musa also said.
News sent by Rangpur correspondent:
“The strike was going on in Dinajpur, Nilphamari, Panchagarh, and Thakurgaon since Thursday morning. The next program will be announced after protests in Rangpur,” said Abdul Majid, General Secretary of Bangladesh Road Transport Workers Federation, Rangpur Regional Committee.
- Panchagarh Express starts maiden journey
- PM opens 2nd Meghna, Gumti bridges
- Yaba trafficking: Rohingyas as safe passage
- UN honors 12 fallen Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- 13th span installed, 2km of Padma Bridge now visible
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part II)
- Afghanistan beat Pakistan in 1st warm-up
- 25 inmates killed in clashes with police at Venezuela jail
- Nine killed in lightning strikes across country
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- 14 Bangladeshis among 290 migrants rescued in Libya coast
- 19 students die in Gujarat`s coaching centre fire
- Installation of 13th span on Padma Bridge today
- Inauguration of 2nd Meghna, Gumti bridges today
- 120th birth anniv of Nat`l Poet being celebrated
- WC Warm-Up match: India, Australia to play today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- How to enhance or suppress memories
- Theresa May profile
- Panchagarh Express maiden voyage tomorrow
- 20 student burnt to death in India
- Record budget for FY2019-20: Finance Minister
- Mother of two ‘gang raped’ in Noakhali
- We have fought having month-long fasting: AG Minister
- Lightning kills 3 in B’baria, Habiganj
- PM to open 2nd Meghna, Gumti bridges tomorrow
- Terrible traffic jam in Rupganj
- Collapse risk of College boundary in Nalitabari
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- All News »
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Taskin in WC reserve squad finally
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- TCB stopped sale of Ramadan commodities suddenly!
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Offical theme song of ICC World Cup 2019 released
- Can Aditi fulfill her dream?
- Archer named in England World Cup squad