Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
Published: 07:55 PM, 15 July 2019 Updated: 09:44 AM, 16 July 2019
At least 10 people, including the bridegroom and bride, were killed and three others injured as a train smashed a microbus at an unmanned level crossing at Panchakroshi in Ullapara upazila of Sirajganj on Monday evening.
The deceased were identified as bridegroom Rajon, 32, son of Altaf Hossain Kandipara village in Sadar upazila, his newly-wedded wife Sumaiya Khatun, 21, daughter of Gafur Sheikh of Chargatina village in Ullapara, their relatives Momota Khatun, 35, Shafiul, 19, minor boy Alif, 9, Md Sarif, 32, Sadik, 19, Abdus Samad, 45, Nure Alam, 35 and Md Khokon, 25 and Swadhin Miah, 55.
Harun Majumder, Officer-in-charge of Sirajganj Government Railway Police Station, said the Dhaka-bound train from Rajshahi, ‘Padma Express, crashed into the microbus around 6:45 pm while it was trying to cross the rail tracks through the level crossing.
The accident left five microbus passengers dead on the spot while four others died on the way to the hospital and one succumbed to their injuries at hospital, he said.
On information, police and firefighters recovered the bodies and rescued the injured.
Meanwhile, acting Deputy Commissioner of the district M Tafazzal Hossain directed for providing financial assistance to family members of the victims.
The tragedy struck the bridal party while they were returning to bridegroom’s house at Kandapara from bride’s house at Betkandi after the marriage ceremony.
- Repatriation halts due to Rohingya’s distrust to Myanmar
- Mexican journalist stabbed to death
- Do aliens really exist?
- Sub-Editor to be recruited in Daily Bangladesh
- Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
- Watling, Grandhomme put NZ ahead in 2nd Test
- Miraz rates Bangladesh ahead of Afghanistan Test
- Faridpur road crash kills cyclist
- Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
- Man jailed for honey!
- Purnima demands excess payment
- `If Bangabandhu`s killers brought under trial, Zia won`t killed`
- Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Museum on earth
- Prof Muzaffar laid to rest with state honor
- Two die as bus hits van in Madaripur
- Truck ramps private car, driver killed
- Bangladesh U-15 outclasses Sri Lanka in 7-1 win
- Ex-Eden College principal murder: Charge sheet accepted
- Wari girl Saima rape, murder: Probe report Sept 16
- Don`t go abroad being deceived by broker: PM
- Yield, market price brings smile on jute growers
- Rain likely across country
- HC orders to remove word ‘Kumari’ from Kabinnama
- Trump confident on Brexit talks
- NASA to prob ‘first crime’ in space
- Messi to miss Barcelona`s game at Real Betis
- New DC in Chuadanga-Khagrachari
- ‘DC Ahmed Kabir will be received exemplary punishment’
- Two senior DMP officials transferred
- New heroine with Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Aghoris: The ‘Black Magicians’!
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PEC exam schedule published
- Kamrup Kamakhya: Mystery of India
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Rayudu promises IPL return for CSK
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves