Train accident on Danish bridge kills 6
Published: 07:40 PM, 2 January 2019 Updated: 07:40 PM, 2 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Six people have been killed and 16 injured in a train accident on the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark.
Rail network officials said debris from a freight train - possibly a tarpaulin - hit a commuter train during a heavy storm, forcing it to brake suddenly.
Rescuers are working to free around 100 passengers who remain trapped on board.
The debris struck the commuter train - running from Odense to the capital Copenhagen - at about 07:35 local time (06:35 GMT).
"Ordinary Danes on their way to work or home from Christmas holidays have had their lives broken," Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen tweeted, saying the accident had "shaken us all".
Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven also tweeted to say he had spoken to Mr Rasmussen after the "terrible accident".
Images from the scene show heavy goods vehicle trailers on the freight train with their sides torn off.
Emergency services reportedly struggled in the bad weather to reach the passenger train, which came to a stop on the bridge.
"There was a loud crash and the windows started smashing onto our heads," passenger Heidi Langberg Zumbusch told Danish broadcaster DR. "We flew down onto the floor, and then the train stopped."
Ms Zumbusch said fellow passengers told her the side of the carriage in front of theirs had been ripped off.
"We were lucky. The people in the carriage in front of us were not so lucky," she said.
There were 131 passengers and three crew members on board at the time of the accident.
An emergency centre has been set up at the western end of the bridge in the town of Nyborg.
The bridge is closed to both cars and trains towards the island of Funen, but car traffic toward Zealand has now reopened.
Tens of thousands of vehicles cross the bridge every day, and the storm had already caused several accidents on the road section earlier on Tuesday.
Denmark's capital city Copenhagen is on the island of Zealand, while the city of Odense lies on Funen to the west.
- PM greets tigers
- ‘I am happy that we are still in World Cup’
- Brazil to face Venezuela early tomorrow
- Last phase voting in 20 UZs underway
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Three countries went dark and no one knows why
- Egypt’s ousted president Morsi dies
- Don’t make pocket committee with opportunists: Quader
- 6 Most Surprising Mosques in Africa!
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- EC made all measures for fair polls: EC secy
- Enough money in banks, not for looting: PM
- Tk 15,000 cr supplementary budget for current FY passed in JS
- Stand for a while to lose weight, how?
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Tariff Commission Act gets Cabinet nod
- Shakib turned Pooran after Lewis
- Impotent injection for rapist
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- Firemen at risk in service office
- Revenue will be billions below forecast: Huawei CEO
- Mother split child`s throat
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem denied bail, sent to jail
- Innovation of artificial lungs by Mou-Akhi-Bipasha
- Rangpur city polluted than Dhaka, Cumilla in safe zone
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- JS budget session begins today
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Che Guevara’s 91st birth anniv today