Track of cyclone ‘Amphan’ (Live)
Published: 10:21 AM, 20 May 2020 Updated: 11:00 PM, 20 May 2020
The cyclone ‘Amphan’ over the northwest bay and adjoining northeast bay and west-central bay moved north-northeastwards and lies over the same area.
The cyclone was centred at 6:00 am on Wednesday about 565 km southwest of Chattogram port, 545 km southwest of Cox’s Bazar port, 390 km southwest of Mongla port and 410 km southwest of Payra port.
It is likely to move in a north northeasterly direction and may cross West Bengal-Bangladesh coast near Sundarbans during this afternoon or evening, said Bangladesh Meteorological Department in a special bulletin no 31 issued at 6:00 am today.
Maximum sustained wind speed within 85 kms of the cyclone centre is about 200 kph rising to 220 kph in gusts or squalls. Sea will remain very high near the cyclone centre.
Meanwhile, maritime ports of Mongla and Payra have been advised to lower danger signal number seven but instead, hoist great danger signal number 10. Coastal districts of Satkhira, Khulna, Bagherhat, Jhalokathi, Pirozpur, Borguna, Patuakhali, Bhola, Barishal, Laxmipur, Chandpur and their offshore islands and chars will come under great danger signal number 10.
However, maritime ports of Chattogram and Cox’s Bazar have been advised to keep hoisted danger signal number six. Coastal districts of Noakhali, Feni, Chattogram and Cox’s Bazar their offshore islands and chars will come under danger signal number six.
The Met Office warned that under the influence of the cyclone and the end day of last quarter moon, the low-lying areas of the coastal districts of Satkhira, Khulna, Bagherhat, Jhalokathi, Pirozpur, Borguna, Patuakhali, Bhola, Barishal, Laxmipur, Chandpur, Noakhali, Feni, Chattogram and their offshore islands and chars are likely to be inundated by storm surge of 10-15 feet height above normal astronomical tide. These areas are likely to experience wind speed up to 140-160 kph in gusts or squalls with heavy to very heavy falls during the passage of the cyclone.
Watch the location of cyclone Amphan (LIVE) -
- Coronavirus cases surpass 6 million
- 10 killed as minibus hits roadside bomb in Somalia
- Elderly woman dies of COVID-19 in Chattogram
- Girls ahead in GPA-5, boys in pass rate
- La Liga clubs to resume full training from Monday
- 8 launches fined for taking extra passengers
- Poverty couldn`t stop Asmani
- Two more labs to detect coronavirus in Capital
- Girl commits suicide after failing in SSC exam
- 19 militants killed in military drive in Egypt
- Another 167 UK nationals leave Sylhet
- Lalmonirhat reports nine new coronavirus cases
- BNP does not think of toiling masses: Hasan Mahmud
- Amirul who took part SSC exam after burying father got GPA-5
- BFDC ready for shooting
- Malaysia’s labour market may open in Jul, BD ready
- Gunmen kill 20 in Burkina Faso
- Peru reports more than 7,000 COVID-19 cases in a day
- ‘Alor Guerrilla’ running day and night
- Coronavirus cases exceed 400,000 in Russia
- Shujeo Shyam contracts COVID-19
- Govt provides relief assistance to more than 6 crore people
- Train runs maintaining health rules: Sujan
- Noakhali reports 90 coronavirus cases in a day
- BNP leaders passing leisure time
- 5 more test positive for COVID-19 in Trishal
- 25 US cities impose curfews as protests continue
- Locust attack in India ‘a result of sin’: Zaira Wasim
- Woman dies with fever and breathing difficulties in Rajshahi
- World No Tobacco Day 2020 being observed aims to protect youth from tobacco
- All News »
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Offices resume from May 31
- Wuhan lab had three live bat coronaviruses
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Country sees highest deaths in a day
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 342,396 globally
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated tomorrow
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle