Tornadoes kill seven people in USA
Homestead, assets destroyed
Published: 06:10 PM, 23 May 2019 Updated: 06:11 PM, 23 May 2019
At least seven people have been killed in weather-related deaths as tornadoes sweep across the US Midwest, local officials say.
Three fatalities were confirmed on Thursday in Golden City, Missouri.
Another two were killed in the state earlier in the week, along with one in Oklahoma and another in Iowa.
A tornado also struck Missouri's state capital, Jefferson City, bringing heavy rain, hail, wind and lightning.
Earlier, the US National Weather Service issued a rare "high warning" for severe storms in the region. It said at least 29 tornadoes had been reported in the last 24 hours and more than 170 since Friday.
Media captionHomes hanging over river bank in Oklahoma
On Wednesday night, emergency sirens were activated in Jefferson City - home to around 43,000 people - and the storm was spotted 20 minutes later.
"When it hit... it felt like an earthquake," local resident Cindy Sandoval-Jakobsen told CNN.
No deaths have been reported in the city, but images on social media show buildings ripped apart, power lines downed and trees uprooted. Thousands are believed to be without electricity.
"It's a chaotic situation right now," Jefferson City Police Lt David Williams told reporters. "We need people who are not affected to stay out of those areas".
Emergency officials have warned of flash flooding, and police in Tulsa, Oklahoma have advised residents living near Keystone Lake dam to begin evacuating.
The storms on Wednesday hit on the eighth anniversary of a tornado that killed 161 people in Joplin, a city in southeast Missouri.
More storms are expected to hit the Midwest on Thursday and Friday.
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Three countries went dark and no one knows why
- Egypt’s ousted president Morsi dies
- Don’t make pocket committee with opportunists: Quader
- 6 Most Surprising Mosques in Africa!
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- EC made all measures for fair polls: EC secy
- Enough money in banks, not for looting: PM
- Tk 15,000 cr supplementary budget for current FY passed in JS
- Stand for a while to lose weight, how?
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Tariff Commission Act gets Cabinet nod
- Shakib turned Pooran after Lewis
- Impotent injection for rapist
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- Firemen at risk in service office
- Revenue will be billions below forecast: Huawei CEO
- Mother split child`s throat
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem denied bail, sent to jail
- Innovation of artificial lungs by Mou-Akhi-Bipasha
- Rangpur city polluted than Dhaka, Cumilla in safe zone
- UN to adopt tougher policy against Myanmar
- No gas supply to Kawla, Zia Colony for 9hrs today
- Heat weave may continue
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Class XI admission results published
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- JS budget session begins today
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held