Tornadoes kill seven people in USA
Homestead, assets destroyed
Published: 06:10 PM, 23 May 2019 Updated: 06:11 PM, 23 May 2019
At least seven people have been killed in weather-related deaths as tornadoes sweep across the US Midwest, local officials say.
Three fatalities were confirmed on Thursday in Golden City, Missouri.
Another two were killed in the state earlier in the week, along with one in Oklahoma and another in Iowa.
A tornado also struck Missouri's state capital, Jefferson City, bringing heavy rain, hail, wind and lightning.
Earlier, the US National Weather Service issued a rare "high warning" for severe storms in the region. It said at least 29 tornadoes had been reported in the last 24 hours and more than 170 since Friday.
Media captionHomes hanging over river bank in Oklahoma
On Wednesday night, emergency sirens were activated in Jefferson City - home to around 43,000 people - and the storm was spotted 20 minutes later.
"When it hit... it felt like an earthquake," local resident Cindy Sandoval-Jakobsen told CNN.
No deaths have been reported in the city, but images on social media show buildings ripped apart, power lines downed and trees uprooted. Thousands are believed to be without electricity.
"It's a chaotic situation right now," Jefferson City Police Lt David Williams told reporters. "We need people who are not affected to stay out of those areas".
Emergency officials have warned of flash flooding, and police in Tulsa, Oklahoma have advised residents living near Keystone Lake dam to begin evacuating.
The storms on Wednesday hit on the eighth anniversary of a tornado that killed 161 people in Joplin, a city in southeast Missouri.
More storms are expected to hit the Midwest on Thursday and Friday.
- Bangladeshis should be proud of their soldiers: Antonio Guterres
- Former SCC mayor Kamran tests positive for COVID-19
- Natore reports three new COVID-19 patients
- Dr. Nahid brought to Suhrawardy Hospital
- 29 more test positive for coronavirus in Faridpur
- Fiji declares itself Coronavirus-free
- Foreign currency reserve, annual remittances hit record highs
- Qatar completes third World Cup stadium
- Coronavirus is ‘weakening’, now claims US doctors
- Govt to recruit 3,000 medical technologists-technicians
- COVID-19 cases reached 1281 in Cumilla
- Youths in country mostly infected with coronavirus
- Electrician dies falling from under-construction building
- 123 officials get promoted as joint secretaries
- Don Dawood Ibrahim and his wife infected with COVID-19
- Coronavirus: Cox’s Bazar declared as country’s first ‘red zone’
- Bank official among 3 of a family hacked in Pabna, bodies found 3 days later
- ‘Environment care would have made easier to combat virus’
- Shechwashebak League leader killed in Bogura
- Gazipur coronavirus cases surpass 1,500
- New routine for secondary classes on TV released
- Four families placed under lockdown in Brahmanbaria
- 3 killed, 7 injured in knife attack at China supermarket
- Tea seller anxious despite his son gets GPA-5
- Consumers suffering in ‘spooky electricity bills’
- India breaks all records of COVID-19 cases in a day
- Sherpur reports six new coronavirus infected cases
- Schoolboy`s body found in pond
- Charging extra fare is breach of promise: Quader
- 5 day labourers missing as boat capsize in Padma
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- 2,423 new infected, 35 die in 24 hours
- COVID-19: Over 9,000 people recovered in country
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day