Today’s Netrokona once Naterkona, M’singh was Mihamanshahi
Published: 01:00 PM, 13 October 2020 Updated: 01:01 PM, 13 October 2020
Shashi Lodge Zamindar Bari in Mymensingh
Mymensingh, the eighth administrative division of Bangladesh, consists of only four administrative districts including Jamalpur, Sherpur, Mymensingh and Netrokona. The greater Mymensingh region was once a part of the Dhaka Division from 1829 until September 13, 2015.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina announced the formation of a new Mymensingh Division by dissolving the Dhaka Division at a Cabinet meeting on January 12, 2015.
Initially, it was planned to form the Mymensingh division from the northern part of the Dhaka division with 8 neighboring districts, however, it was formed with 6 districts.
At that time the people of Tangail and Kishoreganj were reluctant and opposed to being included in the Mymensingh division and wished to be included in the Dhaka division. Finally, on September 14, 2015, the Mymensingh division was formed with 4 districts with an area of 10,485 sq km and a population of 1,13,70,000.
Do you know how these districts were named? Let’s know how the districts of this division were named-
Jamalpur was named after Hazrat Shah Jamal. It is the 20th district of Bangladesh located at the foot of the eye-catching Garo Hills intertwined with the memory of the saint Hazrat Shah Jamal (ra). The district is lying on the Jamuna-Brahmaputra rivers.
Netrokona is named after a village called Naterkona.
Historians differ on the name of Mymensingh district. In the 16th century, the independent Sultan of Bengal Syed Alauddin Hussain Shah established a new kingdom in this region for his son Syed Nasir Uddin Nasrat Shah. From the name of Syed Nasir Uddin Nasrat Shah – this region called Nasratshahi or Nasirabad. However, the name Nasirabad as the source of the Salim era which is still not mentioned anywhere other than in educational institutions.
In Rennell’s map published in 1779, the name Momesing refers to the Mymensingh region. Earlier in Ain-i-Akbari ‘Mihmanshahi’ and ‘Manmanisingh’ are written as Socksr Bajuhar Parganas – which is considered the present Mymensingh.
During the Nawabi period of Bengal, Sher Ali Ghazi, the last zamindar of the Ghazi clan, occupied Dash Kahnia areas and ruled independently. This Dash Kahnia named Sherpur After the name of Sher Ali Ghazi.