TikTok sued in US over alleged China data transfer
Published: 03:53 PM, 4 December 2019
A university student in California has filed a class-action lawsuit against video app TikTok, which she accuses of harvesting large amounts of user data and storing it in China.
“TikTok clandestinely has vacuumed up and transferred to servers in China vast quantities of private and personally-identifiable user data,” the court filing said.
Misty Hong, a student in Palo Alto, California, filed the suit against the Chinese-based app in California federal court last week, according to a report in The Daily Beast on Monday.
The video platform, which is hugely popular with teenagers around the world, was launched by Chinese company ByteDance in September 2017.
“TikTok also has surreptitiously taken user content, such as draft videos never intended for publication, without user knowledge or consent,” the lawsuit alleges.
“In short, TikTok’s lighthearted fun comes at a heavy cost,” it said.
The suit marks the latest legal battle for the app. In early November, the US government opened a national security investigation into TikTok, according to the New York Times, potentially looking into whether the app was sending data to China.
Hong alleges that the app retrieved her data without permission — including videos that she had created but not shared online — and transferred them to servers run by companies that cooperate with the Chinese government.
She filed the suit on behalf of the approximately 110 million US residents who have downloaded the app.
TikTok did not immediately reply to AFP’s request for response.
In November, it said it could not comment on a possible US investigation but emphasized that the respect of US users and regulators was its highest priority.
TikTok has distanced itself from Chinese authorities, maintaining that its servers are located outside of the country and that its data is therefore not subject to Chinese law.
In November, the app hit 1.5 billion downloads worldwide, outperforming Instagram.
- Bone-shaking winter again!
- 7 devotees die at 2nd phase Ijtema
- Today’s Sports on TV
- 2nd Phase Akheri Munajat today
- President asks NDC graduates to uphold forces image
- Kathbirali releases in Switzerland
- Traditional horse race in Madhupur
- US military dispatches over 70 trucks to Syria
- Woman crushed under train in Gopalganj
- Farmers worried of Boro cultivation
- Students to bear computers instead of books
- 10 pairs of marriage arranged Saturday at Ijtema
- World`s shortest mand dies
- Bangladesh starts U-19s WC with win
- Wedelia can cure hair loss forever!
- 2 detained with yaba in Brahmanbaria
- Father killed 40 days innocent girl dropping into water
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- 7 snatcher detained in capital
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Child wounded by outsider’s pelting in running train
- Now Trump attacks Khamenei
- Unidentified man found dead in Kaliganj
- Siblings drowned in Barishal
- Soroj Mehedi becomes brand ambassador of TRIOGM
- Bangabandhu played politics for the country’s dev: Minister
- Recruitment in PHP
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- Elderly woman killed in Trishal road crash
- 2 cousins drown in Rajshahi
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- EXO’s Chen getting married and expecting a child
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Protests in Iran demanding Khamenei`s resignation
- Queen, Prince Harry to hold talks over Sussexes’ future
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- DU expels 63 students for life
- 11 killed in US storm-flood