Tigers to revisit Christchurch next year
Published: 07:11 PM, 29 September 2020 Updated: 03:40 PM, 10 October 2020
Panicked Bangladesh cricketers after reaching the hotel safely (Photo: Collected)
Bangladesh cricketers would have to revisit the Christchurch from where they narrowly escaped when a terrorist attacked in two mosques last year as the national cricket team is scheduled to visit New Zealand in March next year.
Bangladesh will play three ODI and T20I against the host New Zealand. According to the published schedule, Bangladesh has its second ODI on March 17, 2021, at Hagley Oval, Christchurch.
That terrorist attack on two mosques of the city last year, leaving 51 Muslim worshippers dead and 40 severely wounded.
Before the second Test on March 15 last year, the Bangladesh team left for the Al Noor Mosque opposite the Hegley Oval to perform the Friday prayers. The terrorists entered the mosque and started firing with guns.
The players were about to enter the mosque for Jummah prayer before a woman warned them that there was shooting inside, helping the players to survive the attack. The players were severely shocked and took cover on the floor of their bus.
None of the players were injured and the team returned home the following day after the Test was canceled but the trauma haunted them for long days.
“It was the worst attack I have ever seen,” said the Bangladesh ODI captain, one of the survivors of the attack.
New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said the government had not yet approved the series against Bangladesh and Australia, but they were optimistic about the series.
Last week, the government last week gave the green light for the West Indies and Pakistan to arrive under strict quarantine conditions for their first 14 days in the country due to concerns over the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
I’m thrilled to be making this announcement today, given the uncertainty and difficulties over the past six or seven months, White added.