1st results reject New Caledonia's independence
Published: 08:21 PM, 4 November 2018 Updated: 08:21 PM, 4 November 2018
The Latest on New Caledonia's independence referendum, First results are trickling in from the independence referendum in New Caledonia, with a village of about 600 people the first to declare, voting overwhelmingly against a split from France.
New Caledonia's High Commissioner tweeted that Farino on the territory's main island voted by a margin of 9 to 1 against independence, and that nearly 95 percent of the village's registered voters cast ballots.
Fuller results from far more heavily populated areas are expected later Sunday.
Voters have turned out in exceptional numbers to decide whether the French South Pacific territory should break free from the European country that claimed it in 1853.
Voters have turned out in exceptional numbers to decide whether the French South Pacific territory of New Caledonia should break free from the European country that claimed it in the mid-19th century.
The territory's High Commissioner estimated that close to three-quarters of the territory's registered voters had cast ballots an hour before polls closed Sunday evening, a far more robust turnout than in New Caledonia's provincial election in 2014.
Results were expected later Sunday. From Paris, French President Emmanuel Macron was to speak about the territory's future and its choice in a televised address.
The independence vote marked a milestone for the archipelago of 270,000 people that lies east of Australia and has sun-kissed lagoons as well as a nickel mining industry.
The archipelago became French in 1853 under Emperor Napoleon III.
- Washington declares ‘Bangladesh Day’ today
- Schoolgirl killed as leguna fell into ditch in Cumilla
- Obaidul Quader shifted to cabin from ICU
- Rain or thundershowers with gusty wind likely
- Google doodle celebrates Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Barca wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- La Liga wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Independence Day
- President, PM pays homage to Liberation War heroes
- Nation celebrating 49th Independence Day
- Build advance country being imbued with patriotism: PM
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- Paleontologists report world`s biggest Tyrannosaurus rex
- Probe into case against Shahidul to remain halted
- JCD leader held over derogatory remarks on Liberation War
- ACC`s charge sheet accused 12 incl Sonali Bank GM
- BCB to sell jersey ahead of World Cup
- Argentina players don`t deserve to wear the shirt: Maradona
- DAE upbeat on bumper mango production
- DCCI urged Chinese investors
- Zidane starts operation Mbappe
- Chhagalnaiya upazila election stayed
- All News »
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- Two drug traders killed in Teknaf gunfight
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery underway
- Man detained for anti-state campaign in capital
- PM hands over Independence Award