Tendulkar's coach Achrekar dies at 86
Published: 09:06 PM, 2 January 2019 Updated: 09:06 PM, 2 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Ramakant Achrekar, the coach who channeled Sachin Tendulkar's cricketing pursuits by turning him from an aspiring fast bowler to a world-beating batsman, has died in Mumbai at the age of 86.
Paralyzed since the late 1990s, Achrekar had been unwell for a while and was under increased medical supervision since suffering a stroke in 2013.
Achrekar's academy in Mumbai's Shivaji Park area churned out several others who played for India, including Vinod Kambli, Praveen Amre, Ajit Agarkar and Ramesh Powar.
It was Achrekar who suggested to an 11-year old Tendulkar that he switch schools - from Bandra's New English School to Sharadashram Vidya Mandir - to better his cricketing pursuits.
As a player, Achrekar featured in a solitary first-class game for State Bank of India against a Hyderabad Cricket Association XI in 1960. He also briefly served as a Mumbai selector.
In 1990, Achrekar was conferred with the prestigious Dronacharya award for his services to cricket coaching. In 2010, he was awarded the Padma Shri, one of the highest civilian honours in India.
"Cricket in heaven will be enriched with the presence of Achrekar sir," Tendulkar said in a statement. "Like many of his students, I learnt my ABCD of cricket under sir's guidance. His contribution to my life cannot be captured in words. He built the foundation that I stand on.
Last month, I met sir along with some of his students and spent some time together. We shared a laugh as we remembered the old times. Achrekar sir taught us the virtues of playing straight and living straight. Thank you for making us a part of your life and enriching us with your coaching manual. Well played, sir, and may you coach more wherever you are."
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man killed in Paltan road crash
- Levitating objects with light
- Movement of Suprobhat, Jabal-e-Noor buses suspended
- 300 ‘Su-Probhat’ buses on road; appro70 only
- Cucsu polls to be held soon
- 2 buses collision kills 3 in Sirajganj
- 2 burnt in Ctg gas line explosion
- No exam till class-III
- 4yrs minor girl raped by ‘uncle’
- Biz ldrs oppose Govt’s gas price hike plan
- US-Bangla starts Chennai flights from March 31
- Ershad’s 90th Birthday celebrated
- 1,221 recommended for cadre posts
- Indian investors interested to energy sec
- HC bans making film, drama on Jaha Alam
- BIWTA thrashes 185 illegal structures
- 9th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Students call off movement till March 28
- India beat Bangladesh to raced into SAFF final
- Doctor jailed using own sperm fertilizing more than 50 women
- Farhad, Saif powers Doleshwar to easy victory
- Ducsu AGS with student movement
- Suprobhat Paribahan driver put on 7-day remand
- Ardern calls for global anti-racism fight
- Arrest warrant issued against Khaleda in another case
- Fake notes of Tk 8 lakh seized: 4 held
- Not full adults until 30s: Sci
- Super worm moon to rise tmrw
- 4 to die for killing sibling farmers in M’singh
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Dhaka-Kolkata Ship service starts March 29
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- BCB has no problem with Shakib`s IPL participation
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- PM invites newly elected Ducsu leaders
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Dutch-Bangla service to be closed for 5 days
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- VP Noor urges Rokeya’s Provost to resign
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand