Teacher arrested over `wedding bomb` murder
Published: 08:35 PM, 25 April 2018
Indian Police arrested a college teacher in connection with a `wedding bomb` that killed a newly-married software engineer and injured his wife.
The arrested identify as Punjilal Meher, worked with the victim`s mother in Orissa state, police said.
According to Police, Punjilal Meher plotted the revenge killing after she was promoted over him at their workplace of state college.
The shocking killing in February riveted India and led the police to question more than 100 people, mostly relatives and friends of the couple.
Soumya Sekhar Sahu, a 26-year-old software engineer, was killed and his 22-year-old wife Reema was seriously injured when he opened a parcel addressed to him, five days after their marriage.
Sahu`s 85-year-old grand aunt Jemamani Sahu was also killed in the explosion on 23 February at their family home in Patnagarh, a small town in Orissa`s Balangir district.
A photo grab of the kitchen moments after the incident
The police said Mr Meher felt slighted when the mother of the victim replaced him as the principal of the college, as she was senior to him.
Orissa police chief RK Sharma told reporters that Mr Meher had `single-handedly` planned the killing by downloading a bomb-making manual from the internet and assembling the explosive at home.
RK Sharma also said he packed the bomb in a parcel and travelled by train to Raipur, some 230km (142 miles) away and couriered the packet from there to avoid detection.
The parcel then made a 650km (403 miles) journey on three buses and passed through four pairs of hands before reaching Patangarh on 20 February.
A sticker on the box delivered by a courier company said it had been sent by SK Sharma from Raipur.
Police had scoured mobile phone records and scanned laptops and phones belonging to the couple, before questioning Mr Meher.
Source: BBC News
- Afghanistan mosque bombing kills 62
- Nadeem joins India squad for Ranchi Test
- Sheikh Russel’s 56th birthday observed
- Death sentence for humiliation of the Holy Quran
- Turkey-led strikes kill 14 civilians in northeast Syria
- Workshop on IT awareness for female students held at DU
- Aligarh University Prof meets DU VC
- KUET admission test held peacefully
- At least 28 killed in Afghan mosque blast
- Semolina’s rasmalai!
- NASA astronauts Koch and Meir in all-women spacewalk
- Education programs runing on tide
- UN welcomes Turkey`s ceasefire decision
- FM calls upon German investment in Bangladesh
- Surge success of Urmi
- Bangladesh maintains all-win run beating Faroe Islands 3-1
- 6 foods that damaging your kidneys
- Bangabandhu Film City will be world class: Hasan
- NCL coaches terminated for not playing leg spinner
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- Saif hits double ton, Imrul 93
- 17 fishermen jailed for catching hilsa
- Artist Kalidas Karmakar dies
- 35 arrested in anti-drug drive
- Culvert, the last reliance
- 2 children drown in Narail
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Tahsan not ‘celebrating’ Birthday...
- Singapore beat Scotland in T20 WC qualifiers
- US imposes record $7.5 billion tariffs on European goods
- All News »
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Unseen ‘Miss World Bangladesh’ Rafah
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- Abrar murder: First confession by Ifti
- Bangla TV to air Bangladesh-India match
- Zion gives 2nd confessional statement in Abrar murder case
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- The king who rose from the dead
- The female Pharaoh who ruled by wearing false beards
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- BUET students’ call off protests
- MBBS admission test today
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Woman given ‘Talaq’ for alcohol, short dress!
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh