Teacher arrested over `wedding bomb` murder
Published: 08:35 PM, 25 April 2018
Indian Police arrested a college teacher in connection with a `wedding bomb` that killed a newly-married software engineer and injured his wife.
The arrested identify as Punjilal Meher, worked with the victim`s mother in Orissa state, police said.
According to Police, Punjilal Meher plotted the revenge killing after she was promoted over him at their workplace of state college.
The shocking killing in February riveted India and led the police to question more than 100 people, mostly relatives and friends of the couple.
Soumya Sekhar Sahu, a 26-year-old software engineer, was killed and his 22-year-old wife Reema was seriously injured when he opened a parcel addressed to him, five days after their marriage.
Sahu`s 85-year-old grand aunt Jemamani Sahu was also killed in the explosion on 23 February at their family home in Patnagarh, a small town in Orissa`s Balangir district.
A photo grab of the kitchen moments after the incident
The police said Mr Meher felt slighted when the mother of the victim replaced him as the principal of the college, as she was senior to him.
Orissa police chief RK Sharma told reporters that Mr Meher had `single-handedly` planned the killing by downloading a bomb-making manual from the internet and assembling the explosive at home.
RK Sharma also said he packed the bomb in a parcel and travelled by train to Raipur, some 230km (142 miles) away and couriered the packet from there to avoid detection.
The parcel then made a 650km (403 miles) journey on three buses and passed through four pairs of hands before reaching Patangarh on 20 February.
A sticker on the box delivered by a courier company said it had been sent by SK Sharma from Raipur.
Police had scoured mobile phone records and scanned laptops and phones belonging to the couple, before questioning Mr Meher.
Source: BBC News
- 1st coronavirus case identified in Tangail
- Death toll exceeds 17000 in Italy
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Bashundhara, Wari lockdown
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Narsingdi house lockdown over coronavirus suspicion
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- 4 more die from coronavirus, taking total to 13: Health Minister
- Ban on mask and sanitizer export lifted
- Bachchu’s “Shei Tumi” storms in online in India
- 29 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 117
- Coronavirus infected woman journo shares 13 new symptoms