Teacher arrested over `wedding bomb` murder
Published: 08:35 PM, 25 April 2018
Indian Police arrested a college teacher in connection with a `wedding bomb` that killed a newly-married software engineer and injured his wife.
The arrested identify as Punjilal Meher, worked with the victim`s mother in Orissa state, police said.
According to Police, Punjilal Meher plotted the revenge killing after she was promoted over him at their workplace of state college.
The shocking killing in February riveted India and led the police to question more than 100 people, mostly relatives and friends of the couple.
Soumya Sekhar Sahu, a 26-year-old software engineer, was killed and his 22-year-old wife Reema was seriously injured when he opened a parcel addressed to him, five days after their marriage.
Sahu`s 85-year-old grand aunt Jemamani Sahu was also killed in the explosion on 23 February at their family home in Patnagarh, a small town in Orissa`s Balangir district.
A photo grab of the kitchen moments after the incident
The police said Mr Meher felt slighted when the mother of the victim replaced him as the principal of the college, as she was senior to him.
Orissa police chief RK Sharma told reporters that Mr Meher had `single-handedly` planned the killing by downloading a bomb-making manual from the internet and assembling the explosive at home.
RK Sharma also said he packed the bomb in a parcel and travelled by train to Raipur, some 230km (142 miles) away and couriered the packet from there to avoid detection.
The parcel then made a 650km (403 miles) journey on three buses and passed through four pairs of hands before reaching Patangarh on 20 February.
A sticker on the box delivered by a courier company said it had been sent by SK Sharma from Raipur.
Police had scoured mobile phone records and scanned laptops and phones belonging to the couple, before questioning Mr Meher.
Source: BBC News
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Study ties unhealthy gums to liver cancer risk
- PM urges int’l bodies to help rehabilitate Rohingyas in Myanmar
- Tamim falls after score fifty
- Court orders to freeze DIG Mizan’s wealth
- Teenager stabbed in capital`s Kadamtali
- Bangladesh loses Soumya early
- Signal 3 for maritime ports
- Australia set Bangladesh 382 to win
- Nusrat murder: charges formed, testimonies Jun 27
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5