Tarique may be brought back legal assistance act: Anisul
Published: 08:24 PM, 26 April 2018
Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Anisul Huq said on Thursday that although Bangladesh has no extradition treaty with the UK, it can bring back BNP acting chairperson Tarique Rahman from London under the mutual legal assistance act.
Minister Anisul Huq said we can the help from United Nations (UN) convention against trans-border or transnational crimes in this regard to bring back Tarique in the country.
Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Anisul Huq said these at a press briefing at the secretariat on the National Legal Aid Day scheduled to be observed in the country on April 28.
Replying a question on the present citizenship status of the BNP leader, the law minister, said Tarique is now a political asylum seeker as he denied the Bangladeshi citizenship and that doesn`t mean that he won`t be able to get back his citizenship in the future.
Law minister added that he handed over his passport and applied for British political asylum and that means he doesn`t want to retain his Bangladeshi citizenship for the time being.
While answering another question on airing speeches of Tarique Rahman in media, the law minister said the High Court has issued an order in this regard and as citizens, so we must follow the court`s order.
Anisul Huq said a total of 2,0 1,125 people have been provided with legal assistance at government`s cost through the National Legal Aid Services Organization (NLASO) from 2009 to March 2018.
We have been able to help collect Taka 8, 35, 09,454 peacefully through mediation and provided legal assistance to 6,915 people through pre-case and post-case dispute resolution from July 2015, to March 2018, he said
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Tigers look for Cardiff 2005 encore in Nottingham
- WC: Bangladesh meets Australia today
- Robber killed in Fatullah gunfight
- Youth killed in Mohammadpur gunfight
- Sohel Taj’s nephew rescued
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Ex-hockey captain Ibrahim Saber passes away
- Bangladeshis stuck off Tunisia disembark
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges