Taramon laid to eternal rest with state honor
Published: 06:41 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 06:41 PM, 1 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Legendary freedom fighter Taramon Bibi, Bir Pratik, was laid to eternal rest today at her family graveyard in Rajibpur upazila of Kurigram district.
Taramon Bibi died at her Katcharipara residence in Rajibpur upazila town of Kurigram district at 1:30 am last night. She was 63. She is survived by her husband Abdul Mazid, 65, only son Abu Taher, 32, and only daughter Majeda Khatun, 34, family sources said.
A pall of gloom descended among the freedom fighters, political leaders, professionals, socio-cultural activists and elite of Rangpur region following the death of the veteran freedom fighter.
A smartly turned out contingent of police forces gave a guard of honor and bugle played the last post before the namaz-e-janaza of Taramon Bibi held on her Katcharipara residence courtyard at 2 pm.
Her coffin was draped with the national flag. District, police and upazila administrations, Muktijoddha Sangshad, political parties and other organizations placed wreaths on her coffin after the namaz-e-janaza to show respect to the heroic daughter of the soil.
Former Awami League lawmaker from Kurigram-4 constituency Zakir Hossain and incumbent lawmaker Ruhul Amin, Deputy Commissioner of Kurigram Sultana Pervin, Superintendent of Police Mehedul Karim, Public Prosecutor of Kurigram Advocate Abraham Lincon, former District Muktijoddha Commander Sirajul Islam Tuku, Rajibpur upazila Muktijoddha Commander Abdul Hye, Rajibpur Upazila Nirbahi Officer Mehedi Hasan, Chilmari upazila Chairman Shawkat Ali Sarker, Bir Bikram, Civil Surgeon of Kurigram Dr Aminul Islam, freedom fighters, officials and common people attended the janaza and burial process.
Vice-chancellor of Begum Rokeya University Professor Dr Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah, Rangpur Divisional Commissioner Muhammad Joynul Bari, and Deputy Inspector General for Rangpur Range of Bangladesh Police Devdas Bhattacharya, Rangpur Metropolitan Police Commissioner Abdul Alim Mahmud, Kurigram Deputy Commissioner Sultana Pervin and Superintendent of Police Mehedul Karim expressed their deep shock at the death of Taramon Bibi.
They conveyed their deep sympathy to the members of the bereaved family and prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of the veteran female freedom fighter.
Taramon Bibi took part in the War of Liberation in Sector number 11 under the command of Colonel Abu Taher at the call of Bangabandhu after being inspired by Habilder Muhib at Char Rajibpur Muktijoddha Camp.
She first started cooking for the freedom fighters — but soon began spying to gather information on movements of the occupations forces — and subsequently took part in the battles after getting arms training from Habilder Muhib.
After independence, she returned to her native Sankar Madhobpur village (now eroded by river erosion) under Rajibpur upazila and got married to Abdul Mazid in 1974.
The then government of Bangabandhu awarded Taramon Bibi the gallantry title ‘Bir Pratik’ in recognition of her courage and bravery during the War of Liberation.
- Jaya Ahsan in spectral character
- Unrest in India-Pakistan border again
- Dengue claims housewife’s life in Satkhira
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Cox’s Bazar
- FM reaffirms for Rohingya send back
- Homemade delicious Beef Kala Bhuna
- China remains with Myanmar on Rohingya issue
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Treatment and medicine at Tk 5 only!
- Noble to fly for US
- RAB rescues abducted man from remote area, 4 held
- UNHCR praises Bangladesh
- Debiganj UNO office assistant killed in road crash
- Indian Cricket Board getting richer
- Day temp likely to fall (1-2) °C
- China’s hypersonic DF-17: Threat for regional stability
- Bede couple dies of snakebite in Satkhira
- Esha Gupta injures in road accident
- Android 10: Changes look of mobile OS
- Bride’s family cracked groom’s head in wedding gate
- Boris Johnson puts his feet up in Macron`s palace
- Miley Cyrus slams rumors she cheated on Liam Hemsworth
- Strict security in capital around Janmashtami
- Eng meets Aus in 2nd day of Ashes 3rd Test
- Housewife dies of dengue in Satkhira
- Gunfight between two groups kills drug trader in Satkhira
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Janmashtami today
- India’s ex-finance minister on 5-day remand
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- World Mosquito Day today
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon