Taramon laid to eternal rest with state honor
Published: 06:41 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 06:41 PM, 1 December 2018
Legendary freedom fighter Taramon Bibi, Bir Pratik, was laid to eternal rest today at her family graveyard in Rajibpur upazila of Kurigram district.
Taramon Bibi died at her Katcharipara residence in Rajibpur upazila town of Kurigram district at 1:30 am last night. She was 63. She is survived by her husband Abdul Mazid, 65, only son Abu Taher, 32, and only daughter Majeda Khatun, 34, family sources said.
A pall of gloom descended among the freedom fighters, political leaders, professionals, socio-cultural activists and elite of Rangpur region following the death of the veteran freedom fighter.
A smartly turned out contingent of police forces gave a guard of honor and bugle played the last post before the namaz-e-janaza of Taramon Bibi held on her Katcharipara residence courtyard at 2 pm.
Her coffin was draped with the national flag. District, police and upazila administrations, Muktijoddha Sangshad, political parties and other organizations placed wreaths on her coffin after the namaz-e-janaza to show respect to the heroic daughter of the soil.
Former Awami League lawmaker from Kurigram-4 constituency Zakir Hossain and incumbent lawmaker Ruhul Amin, Deputy Commissioner of Kurigram Sultana Pervin, Superintendent of Police Mehedul Karim, Public Prosecutor of Kurigram Advocate Abraham Lincon, former District Muktijoddha Commander Sirajul Islam Tuku, Rajibpur upazila Muktijoddha Commander Abdul Hye, Rajibpur Upazila Nirbahi Officer Mehedi Hasan, Chilmari upazila Chairman Shawkat Ali Sarker, Bir Bikram, Civil Surgeon of Kurigram Dr Aminul Islam, freedom fighters, officials and common people attended the janaza and burial process.
Vice-chancellor of Begum Rokeya University Professor Dr Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah, Rangpur Divisional Commissioner Muhammad Joynul Bari, and Deputy Inspector General for Rangpur Range of Bangladesh Police Devdas Bhattacharya, Rangpur Metropolitan Police Commissioner Abdul Alim Mahmud, Kurigram Deputy Commissioner Sultana Pervin and Superintendent of Police Mehedul Karim expressed their deep shock at the death of Taramon Bibi.
They conveyed their deep sympathy to the members of the bereaved family and prayed for eternal peace of the departed soul of the veteran female freedom fighter.
Taramon Bibi took part in the War of Liberation in Sector number 11 under the command of Colonel Abu Taher at the call of Bangabandhu after being inspired by Habilder Muhib at Char Rajibpur Muktijoddha Camp.
She first started cooking for the freedom fighters — but soon began spying to gather information on movements of the occupations forces — and subsequently took part in the battles after getting arms training from Habilder Muhib.
After independence, she returned to her native Sankar Madhobpur village (now eroded by river erosion) under Rajibpur upazila and got married to Abdul Mazid in 1974.
The then government of Bangabandhu awarded Taramon Bibi the gallantry title ‘Bir Pratik’ in recognition of her courage and bravery during the War of Liberation.
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- People throng book fair ignoring gloomy weather
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’