Dhaka City polls
Taposh elected DSCC new mayor
Published: 01:25 AM, 2 February 2020 Updated: 09:41 AM, 2 February 2020
Awami League nominated Barrister Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh has been elected mayor for Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) by a huge margin of 1 lakh 88 thousand and 83 votes.
Joint Secretary of the Election Commission Secretariat Abdul Baten announced the results of the Dhaka South City Corporation election unofficially at the Experimental Hall of Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy in the capital at 12:39 am on Saturday night.
At this time, he said, Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh got 4 lakh 24 thousand 595 votes. His nearest rival, BNP nominated Israq Hossain, got 2 lakh 36 thousand 512 votes.
Earlier, at a press conference, the new city mayor Taposh, said that the allegations made by the BNP, including the capture of the center, repelling BNP agents from the centers; all are baseless. The vote has been fair and peaceful. He has also expressed his thankfulness to the city dwellers for the great victory.
Among the other mayoral candidates, the Islami Andolan Bangladesh nominated Abdur Rahman got 26 thousand and 525 votes, Abdus Samad Sujan of Gano Front got 12 thousand and 687 votes, Mohammad Saifuddin of Jatiya Party got 5 thousand 593 votes, National People's Party (NPP) Bahrane Sultan got 3 thousand and 155, votes, and Bangladesh Congress candidate Aktaruzzaman alias Ayatollah got 2 thousand and 421 votes.
Notably there are 24 lakhs 53 thousand and 194 voters in Dhaka South City Corporation having 1 thousand and 150 polling stations and all the centers have been declared valid.
- WB to donate $350m to Bangladesh
- Former Marseille boss Pape Diouf dies of coronavirus
- Mass gatherings in relief distribution!
- Holiday expansion notice issued
- Riverbed covered with red carpet of chilli
- No Patient at Chandpur ICDDRB
- Child dies of fever, 6 families under quarantine in Jhalakathi
- Barsha Baran event at Ramna Batamul postponed
- 60 Australian newspapers to stop printing
- Canadian thriller ‘Corona’ touted first COVID-19 movie
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- BNP is not with people in coronavirus fight
- Legendary jazz trumpeter Wallace Roney dies of coronavirus
- Eight samples collected in Ctg, results afternoon
- Free Coronavirus test in DMCH, result in 3 hrs
- All Pohela Boishakh events cancelled
- Measures taken to meet milk, egg, fish and meat demand
- Coronavirus test in Rajshahi begins
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 6 in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus claims lives of two US activists
- Lata Mangeshkar donates Rs 25 lakh to fight against coronavirus
- Pak legend sportsman dies of corona
- Temperature may rise by 1-2°C
- Worker killed in Satkhira road crash
- Holy Ka`aba Sharif Tawaf resumed
- Coronavirus is worst crisis since World War II: UN Chief
- 100 shops gutted in Khulna fire
- 3 new coronavirus patients identified, 54 in total
- Coronavirus alone took only 2.3 percent lives in Italy!
- Corona test at BSMMU begins today; result in 4 hrs!
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- Hantavirus: All you need to know
- Japan claims to develop COVID-19 vaccine
- Corona death surging to 19000
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus affected nurse kills herself ‘to protect others’
- Italy reports 683 more coronavirus deaths
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- 11 killed as gunmen attack Sikh religious complex in Kabul
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 5 in country
- UN urges to ease sanctions against countries fighting COVID-19
- Gopalganj road crashes kill 2 motorcyclists, injure 26
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Prince Charles tests positive for Covid-19
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium