Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
Published: 06:38 PM, 27 February 2020 Updated: 06:39 PM, 27 February 2020
Prime Minister was addressing the oath-taking ceremony of newly-elected mayors and councilors of the Dhaka north and south city corporations at her office; Photo: PID
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Thursday asked the newly elected mayors and councilors of Dhaka North and South city corporations to take effective measures in advance to control the dengue borne Aedes mosquitoes ahead of the rainy season.
“Dengue now appears as a problem. You (newly elected Mayors and councilors) would have to take measures against the Aedes mosquitoes from now,” she said.
The Prime Minister was addressing the oath-taking ceremony of newly-elected mayors and councilors of the Dhaka north and south city corporations at her office in the morning.
She also asked them to ensure proper utilization of the anti-mosquito medicines in controlling the Aedes, saying, “You would have to make your best possible efforts in checking dengue keeping in mind that mosquitoes can’t eat up your votes.”
The Premier also asked them to carry out the directives of the government for the welfare of the people in their localities.
She also asked them to take necessary measures to check coronavirus in line with the government initiatives to check coronavirus.
In this context, she said her government has already dedicated a hospital and given training to the physicians and nurses as part of the precautionary measures.
Earlier, the Prime Minister administered the oath of office to Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) Mayor Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh and Dhaka North City Corporation (DNCC) Mayor Atiqul Islam at Shapla Hall of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in the capital.
Besides, Local Government Minister Md Tazul Islam administered the oath of offices to 172 councilors from the general wards and reserved women’s seats in the two city corporations at the same venue.
The DSCC and DNCC polls were held on February 1 where Awami League-backed candidates — Barrister Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh and Atiqul Islam-swept the elections as residents of the capital elected their mayors to hold the offices of DSCC and DNCC for next five years.
Alongside the two elected mayors, 100 councilors – 75 general councilors from 75 ward and 25 women councilors from 25 reserved seats-were elected in DSCC, while 72 councilors – 54 general councilors from 54 ward and 18 women councilors from 18 reserved seats-in DNCC.
However, the newly elected mayors and councilors will have to wait until the middle of May to take charge as the five-year tenure of the incumbent representatives of DSCC will expire on May 17 while that of DNCC on May 13 next.
Road Transport and Bridges Minister and Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader, Local Government Minister Md Tazul Islam and the newly elected mayors were also present on the oath-taking ceremony.
Sheikh Hasina called upon the public representatives to oversee the development programs being implemented in their localities to ensure proper use of public money.
The Prime Minister said her government will not tolerate any corruption in the development projects, particularly the large scale ones.
“If anyone is found involved in corruption, they will not be spared whoever they might be,” she added.
The Premier said the ongoing drives against terrorism, militancy, drug and corruption will continue on.
She called upon the newly elected mayors and councilors to work in their localities to check those as part of the move to save the new generation from the social menaces.
The Premier urged the public representatives to work for the welfare of the people saying that victory in polls is not enough rather they (public representatives) must win the hearts of the masses.
She added: “So, you’ll have to work for the welfare of the people irrespective of the party affiliations and uphold the trust and confidence that the people have restored on you.”
Sheikh Hasina said public representatives would have to work for the development of their respective areas to earn the satisfaction of the people.
Spelling out various measures taken for the overall development of the country, the Premier said her government has been working for reaching the fruit of development to every people.
“We are now taking rural centric development projects as part of the move to provide all the facilities of the city to the rural people,” she added.
The Premier said her government has been implementing 90 percent development projects with its own finance, adding that the size of the national budget has increased by seven times during the tenure of the government.
She said her government has been working to strengthen the local government bodies as they can take the development of their own localities and formulate their budgets.
“We’re working not only to develop the urban areas, but we’re also working to develop the rural areas too,” she said.
Sheikh Hasina, also the president of Bangladesh Awami League, expressed her profound gratitude to the countrymen for reelecting her party and giving her a chance to celebrate the birth centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
She said that the aim of the government was to materialize the dream of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to turn the country into a Sonar Bangla (Golden Bengal).
The Prime Minister said that the government had already announced 2020-21 as ‘Mujib Borsho’, adding, “None will remain homeless after the Mujib Year.”
She mentioned that the government has adopted Delta Plan 2100 for the future generation of the country.
The Premier said that her government has been setting up 100 special economic zones as part of the move for planned industrialization.
“The aim of this move is to restrict setting up industries indiscriminately on the cropland,” she added.
She said that after setting up these economic zones, the country would move towards industrialization further with employment generation.
The Premier said her government has been working to transform Bangladesh into a developed and prosperous country by 2041 as dreamt by the father of the nation.
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Trudeau threatens retaliation Trump’s decision
- More than 100 motorcycles detained in Singra
- Govt extends general holidays till April 14
- Singair municipal area ‘lockdown’
- 55 coronavirus patients recovered
- Ban on flights extended till Apr 14
- One more dies from coronavirus, taking total to 9
- 18 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 88
- 70 Bangladeshis contracted coronavirus in Spain
- BKMEA decides factories to be shut till April 11
- Colombia coal mine explosion kills 11
- PM unveils Tk 72,750cr package to overcome coronavirus impact
- Jazz artist Ellis Marsalis dies of coronavirus at 85
- Baby Doll singer Kanika Kapoor tests coronavirus negative
- Not even one death is desirable: PM
- Barcelona vice president diagnosed with coronavirus
- Heat wave may continue till tomorrow morning
- Sania Mirza raises Rs 1.25 crore in 1 week to help the poor
- Heavy rain caused flood amid Corona outbreak in Spain
- COVID-19 cases, deaths rapidly increasing in appalling levels
- Five detained for spreading rumors over corona in Rangpur
- Boris Johnson`s pregnant girlfriend diagnosed with coronavirus
- Kathalbari-Shimulia ferry halted to prevent coronavirus
- Healthy newborn to coronavirus infected parents
- 34 more people tested for Coronavirus infection in Chattogram
- Coronavirus epidemic: Death toll surging to 65,000
- Coronavirus death toll surpasses 63,000
- BGMEA urges owners to shut factories until Apr 11
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- All News »
- School holiday draws to Eid
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- N Korea fires missiles amid coronavirus outbreak
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- England plans to return field by early May
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- Army to go tough from today
- Kurmitola Hospital to treat coronavirus patients only
- Thai King self-isolates with harem of 20 women!
- 4 held in Saudi for claiming corona is ‘punishment from Allah’
- Edu Minister for continue students’ studies at home
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- Comedian Ken Shimura died of coronavirus
- Infant, younger than a year dies of coronavirus
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- No new coronavirus case detected in last 24 hrs: IEDCR
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Construction work of Akij’s corona hospital resumed
- Corona epidemic: Spain record 821 more deaths in a day
- What Trudeau’s wife says after healing from coronavirus
- Citywide quarantine in Moscow
- Corona death climbs to 30,879, cases over .66m
- Coronavirus case rises to 49 in country
- US coronavirus death toll surpasses 2,000