Take books as weapons: Information Minister to youths
Published: 09:57 PM, 15 February 2020
Dr Hasan Mahmud, file photo
Information Minister Dr Hasan Mahmud urged the youths to develop the reading habit and take books as weapons of building a healthy and enlightened life.
He addressed it while attending in a book unveiling ceremony at the Grantha Unmochan Kendra in the Amar Ekushey Book Fair on Suhrawardy Udyan premises today.
“Books help people to know themselves and give lessons to become conscious to purify the society,” he said.
Dr Hasan said though the number of readers is gradually coming down due to widespread use of social media in the modern era, the Amar Ekushey Book Fair draws huge bookworms and publishers.
The minister said the increasing trend of publication of new books, bookstalls and crowds in the fair every year proves that the social media addiction could not keep the people away from reading books.
The book fair, which had a fairly modest beginning, now has extended to 8, 00,000 square feet area, he added.
Dr Hasan also urged the teachers and parents to keep the youths and teenagers away from being addicted to social media.
Dr Hasan unveiled covers of three books— ‘Sudur Pather Bak Periye’ of Jannatul Ferdous Panna,’Rongin Prem’ of Joya Jahan Chowdhury and ‘Amantrita’ of Rebeka Silpi on the event.
Authors, students, and teachers were present among others on the occasion.
- 60,000 Gazipur families get 15-day food
- 190 at home quarantine, 10 released
- Free medical campaign by doctor couple in Shariatpur
- Tabligh Jamaat Amir Maulana Saad infected with coronavirus!
- 7 doctors to provide 24-hour online medical service
- Food aid for poor in Rupganj
- Rice selling at Tk 10 starts Sunday
- 24 hrs curfew issued in Mecca-Medina
- News of ‘exempting home rent’ is rumor
- AFC postpones 2027 Asian Cup host selection
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- City turns to ‘ghost’ town!
- UNO donates one-month salary and allowance to poor
- Real Madrid legend Benito passes away
- Child Shara donates tiffin money to poor
- Ban on mask and sanitizer export lifted
- COVID-19 death toll in Spain surges 10,000
- Coronavirus death toll in US crosses 5,113
- PM asks govt officials, employees to use mask
- Bengali drama on Coronavirus issue
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus
- Harassment in IEDCR hotline
- Govt for increase crop production to cope with coronavirus
- LGRD Minister helps 25,000 families in Cumilla
- Dhaka South Jubo League distributes food to 400 families
- 2 drug dealers arrested with 17-kg weeds
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Golfer Siddikur’s father passes away
- UNO walks to 212 beggars’ huts with food
- Madhupur youth tested negative for Coronavirus
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- Coronavirus death toll surges 21,000
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- England plans to return field by early May
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- BGMEA decides to close all factories
- Security tightens in Dhaka street, police-army on field
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51