T20I match at Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
Published: 10:08 AM, 25 July 2019
Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) got the nod from the International Cricket Council (ICC) to organize a T20I match between Asia All Star and Rest of the World to celebrate the 100th birthday of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
The match will be held between March 18-21 next year at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in capital's Mirpur.
The BCB president Nazmul Hassan Papon informed the outcome on Wednesday after attending an ICC meeting in England. Papon said the ICC gave the nod happily to go ahead with the idea.
“One thing was approved in the ICC meeting, which is a very good news for the country, is that there was a decision regarding the arrangement of a T20 match to celebrate the 100th birthday of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman for which we applied to ICC,” Papon told the reporters.
He also mentioned that ICC has made an exception as they also gave this match an international status.
“However, the problem we faced initially was that ICC only allows a member country to arrange such a match. Like the last time ICC allowed a match between Pakistan versus the rest of the World. They could allow it because Pakistan is a member country and that’s why the match was also given international status.
“But we proposed for a match between two regions - Asia All Star and Rest of the World. So if there are no member countries playing then how will they give it an international status?
“However one good thing that happened is that all the other boards have supported this proposal and it has been decided that the match will get international status.
“ICC also mentioned, which is more important in my opinion, is that this decision cannot be used as a reference in future by any other countries. This is a special dispensation for Bangladesh. So I think this is a great thing for Bangladesh” he added.
He said that the current players will be the part of the match and they expected to get all of the Asian players except two countries.
“We will not include the past players in the two teams. We will try to get all the current players. As per my observation, apart from two teams, every team will be available during that period when we’ll arrange the match,” he informed.
“The slot for the match has been fixed. The match will be held in-between 18th to 21st March of next year.”
To celebrate the birth centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman next year, country’s sports fraternity will have year-long domestic and international events.
“If we had arranged a match of Bangladesh with any other team then only people of two countries would have watched, one is Bangladesh and the other whom we would have been playing. Now since we are planning to arrange a match between Asia XI and World XI to celebrate the Bangabandhu”s 100th birthday and this match will be seen by the whole world see,” Papon said. BSS
- Talks with Cameron: Suu Kyi lies over Rohingyas’ identity
- Minni’s trip to Dhaka Saturday
- Tohura star as Bangladesh draw 2-2 with Australia
- ‘Alpha’ to represent Bangladesh in Oscar
- VC Nasir’s one-day tea bill Tk 40,000!
- Fishers’ pleasure of repay dues
- Nusrat murder accused Moni gave birth in prison
- Bangladesh take on Yemen in AFC U-16 Championship tomorrow
- Milan Fashion: J-Lo struts updated jungle dress at Versace
- Dananjaya suspended for illegal action
- Simeone - `I`m not interested` in Griezmann reports
- Housewife dies of dengue in Barishal
- £6bn UK aid for Bangladesh, other climate victim countries
- KCC to get modern slaughterhouse soon
- Pea-flour to prevent dandruff-hair fall
- Huge asteroid narrowly missed Earth; NASA reveals
- Two cases filed against Firoz
- Anti-Sisi protests break out in Egypt
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Millions march against climate change
- US to send troops, equipment to Saudi Arabia
- BSMRSTU closed over student unrest
- Heat wave may abate from some places
- Zuckerberg nixes Trump’s idea of breaking up Facebook
- Madrasa student goes missing at tourist spot
- Ranu had several lovers, director leaked
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?