Syndicate’s paddy in government warehouse
Published: 07:26 PM, 23 May 2019
Farmers of Lalmonirhat do not get fair prices in the market despite a good yield of paddy in the Irri-Boro season. Officially rice procurement started but complaints of irregularities with the list of farmers were raised.
Those who are not involved in the farming of Irri-Boro cultivation and even not involved in agriculture are listed in this list. Instead of farmers, a syndicate giving paddy to the government procurement center through the money launderers.
This year, Lalmonirhat has set a target of procuring 1,493 metric tons of paddy at Tk 26 per kg, 10,731 metric tons of rice at Tk 36 per kg, and 345 metric tons of Atab rice at Tk 35 per kg. Paddy and rice collection activities will continue until August 31.
As the profit is high this year, a group of syndicate is stumbling. For their power, the farmers can't even go to the buying center. Even if someone goes to the procurement center, they are told that the purchase of all rice is complete.
On the other hand, there is a risk of price drop due to Rice Mill owners are not buying rice from farmers. Officially rice is purchased at Tk 36 and paddy at Tk 26 per kg, but farmers are being deprived of its benefits.
Farmers complain- the people of the identified middleman and syndicate of the district are stealing Agricultural Cards, National ID cards, pictures, and bank accounts from general farmers strategically.
In many cases, the farmers’ bank accounts are opened without knowledge from them those who do not have any bank accounts. The Upazila Agricultural Officer and in-charge of the food warehouse including UP chairman are cooperating the middlemen and syndicates by providing rice and paddy.
Five people from Hatibandha’s Singimari 5no UP ward member Ramjan Ali's family got the names in the farmer list. There is a person named Tapan Ghosh on that list, but Tapan Ghosh did not cultivate Irri-Boro even on 1 shatak land.
In this context, Singimari’s Assistant Agriculture Officer Dalim Kumar Sarkar said, “UP chairman has given the list of those people.”
But UP chairman Monwar Hossain Dulu said that he did not give any name to the farmer list. “Those are Listed by the people of the agricultural department.”
Rice trader Zakir Hossain and Abdul Karim said that Rice Mills are not buying the rice. Due to this, the price of rice has started a decrease in the market.
One Assistant Agriculture Officer said that the agriculture department is responsible for determining the amount of rice that a farmer can sell. “Farmer's list will be prepared for rice purchase. But some UP chairmen are making a list of his followers and handing them over to Assistant Agriculture Officers,” he said.
Meanwhile, the common farmers demanded that the Agriculture Department should make a list of genuine farmers and check the signature beside the name and ask the farmer to buy rice.
Lalmonirhat District Food Regulatory Officer Kazi Saifuddin said, “Rice are collecting under the agricultural cards given from the agricultural department. That’s why a farmer list has been created. The list was approved by the Upazila Purchasing Committee. Now the government is trying to buy rice from farmers very seriously.”
“No irregularities will be accepted while purchasing government rice. The UNO has been ordered to look after the matter of buying rice from farmers. Still, if anybody irregularities, action will be taken against him,” said Lalmonirhat DC Shafiul Arif.
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Three countries went dark and no one knows why
- Egypt’s ousted president Morsi dies
- Don’t make pocket committee with opportunists: Quader
- 6 Most Surprising Mosques in Africa!
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- EC made all measures for fair polls: EC secy
- Enough money in banks, not for looting: PM
- Tk 15,000 cr supplementary budget for current FY passed in JS
- Stand for a while to lose weight, how?
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Tariff Commission Act gets Cabinet nod
- Shakib turned Pooran after Lewis
- Impotent injection for rapist
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- Firemen at risk in service office
- Revenue will be billions below forecast: Huawei CEO
- Mother split child`s throat
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem denied bail, sent to jail
- Innovation of artificial lungs by Mou-Akhi-Bipasha
- Rangpur city polluted than Dhaka, Cumilla in safe zone
- UN to adopt tougher policy against Myanmar
- No gas supply to Kawla, Zia Colony for 9hrs today
- Heat weave may continue
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Class XI admission results published
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- JS budget session begins today
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held