Syed Ashraf’s body kept at CMH
Published: 10:11 PM, 5 January 2019 Updated: 10:11 PM, 5 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The body of eminent Awami League (AL) leader Syed Ashraful Islam was kept at the mortuary of Combined Military Hospital (CMH) here.
A popular figure in political arena, Syed Ashraf, public administration minister and AL presidium member and former general secretary, will be laid to eternal rest at Banani graveyard here at 4.30pm tomorrow.
Amid grief and gloom and with people of all walks of life waiting to pay tribute to the veteran AL leader, his body arrived at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport at 5.55pm today by a flight of Biman Bangladesh Airlines.
A delegation of Awami League led by its General Secretary Obaidul Quader received the body at the airport. Senior party leaders including Tofail Ahmed, Begum Matia Chowdhury, Mohammed Nasim and Dr Abdur Razzak paid tribute to him and offered a munajat for peace of the departed soul.
The body of the veteran AL leader was then taken to his official residence on Bailey road. Relatives and well-wishers, party leaders and workers, officials and employees of the Public Administration Ministry thronged his residence to have last glimpse of their loving leader.
The body was later kept at the mortuary of the CMH.
His first namaz-e-janaza will be held on the Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban’s south plaza at 10.30am tomorrow. A guard of honor will be given to him there.
The body will later be taken by a helicopter to Kishoreganj, from where he was elected member of parliament (MP) five times.
His second namaz-e-janaza will be held at historic Sholakia Eidgah Maidan in the district town at 12noon. His third namaz-e-janaza will be held at Mymensingh Anjuman Eidgah ground at 2pm.
He will be laid to eternal rest at Banani graveyard in Dhaka at 4.30pm on Sunday.
He died at the Bangkok hospital aged 68 after undergoing treatment for lung cancer for long. He is survived by a daughter. His wife Sheila Islam died in London in 2017.
Syed Ashraf was born in Mymensingh in 1952. His father Syed Nazrul Islam was acting President of Mujibnagar Government in 1971 and one of the key figures of Bangladesh independence struggle.
He was actively involved in student politics. He was the general secretary of Mymensingh district unit of Bangladesh Chhatra League after the independence of Bangladesh.
He also served as the assistant publicity secretary of central committee of Bangladesh Chhatra League.
On November 3 in 1975, his father Syed Nazrul Islam and three other national leaders were brutally killed in Dhaka Central Jail.
After the incident, Syed Ashraf went to London and organized Bangladesh Awami League in the UK.
Ashraf came back home in 1996 and elected parliament member. He served as the state minister for civil aviation and tourism during 1996-2001. He also elected parliament member in 2001 and served as a member of the parliamentary standing committee on foreign affairs.
In 2008, Syed Ashraf was again elected lawmaker and appointed as the minister for local government, rural development and cooperatives. He took over the charge as a minister for public administration on July 16, 2015.
In the just concluded 11th parliamentary election on December 30 last, he was also elected a member of parliament in his absence due to illness as he was undergoing treatment for lung cancer in Bangkok.
Syed Ashraf, an iconic politician, was also engaged in various social welfare activities.
People of all strata liked the eminent AL leader because of his honest, sincere, devoted and charismatic personality and his works for the welfare of the country and its people.
- Dustbin at hospital’s entrance
- Rifat’s body on way to Barguna
- HM declares stern action against Rifat’s killers
- ‘Bangabandhu struggled whole life for two purposes’
- Those who stood, mainly blocked our way: Rifat’s wife
- Issue alert on boarder: HC to IGP
- Rohit falls early as India bat first
- Hackers steal data from telecoms: cyber firm
- Rural women making own fortune in Rangpur region
- Temperature may fall further
- New Silex malware bricks 2000 plus IoT devices
- Deputy Attorney Generals appointed before 2017 asked to resign
- Barguna murder: HC seeks info about ‘action’ taken within noon
- Rape accused killed in Sitakunda gunfight
- 1 held over brutal murder of Barguna man
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Say Alhamdulillah
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage