Suu Kyi’s Nepal tour revitalizes Rohingyas issue
Published: 02:15 PM, 29 November 2018 Updated: 02:15 PM, 29 November 2018
Global rights watchdogs and Nepal’s national rights commission have asked Kathmandu to pressurize Myanmar for a safe and dignified return of Rohingyas to their homeland as Myanmar’s state counselor Aung San Suu Kyi began a two-day Kathmandu tour today.
“Nepal should exert pressure on the Myanmar government through international collaboration for the safe return of the oppressed,” Amnesty International director Nirajan Thapaliya said in a statement on the eve of the Myanmar leaders Kathmandu visit.
The Amnesty earlier this month took back its highest honor, the Ambassador of Conscience Award, from Suu Kyi for her “apparent indifference” to atrocities committed against the Rohingya and her increasing intolerance of freedom of speech.
Thapaliya reiterated the global watchdog’s revised observation about Suu Kyi saying she “colluded with the military crackdown and is reluctant in ensuring justice to the victims”.
Nepalese National Human Rights Commission spokesperson Mohna Ansari said the authorities in Kathmandu “should clearly talk to Suu Kyi” for the safe return of the displaced people and fair investigation into the atrocities.
“The geopolitical factors should not affect the human rights issue. The Nepal government must present its clear position on the matter,” Ansari said, adding the Himalayan nation was also obligated to pressurize Myanmar on the issue being an incumbent UN Human Rights Council member.
Media reports earlier suggested some 400 Rohingyas also took refuge in Nepal although over a million of them found Bangladesh to be their makeshift abode on the face of the brutal military crackdown at their homeland.
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- New China virus: pharmaceuticals fear amid risk of infection
- U-19 CWC: Japan faces India today
- Drug trader killed in Khilkhet gunfight
- 3 consecutive rocket attack near US Embassy
- President for utilising scouting to serve nation
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- 50pc of state-run entities funds to deposit in private banks
- Argentine goalkeeper Romero faces a road accident
- Mymensingh-Chattogram train services resume
- Google chief urges ‘proportionate’ AI regulation
- Female officer slapped BJP leader (video)
- Youth held with marijuana in Satkhira
- Youth sentenced to life imprisonment in Rajbari
- ACC drives at KMCH
- 40 teenagers detained from park in Jashore
- Woman killed, 16 injured in Joypurhat road crash
- 33 promoted to District Judges
- `Wife murder`, Fahmi again discussed in media!
- Total print media 3165, one state-owned
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 4 detained with drugs in separate drives
- To get bright skin use rose water
- Praveen Kumar tried to commit suicide
- Moslem Uddin takes oath as MP
- 11 gamblers detained with 2 crores rupees
- Hand bombs blasted in Noakhali
- HC stays Primary recruitment test result of 14 districts
- Youth wants Mir’s daughter number!
- Miller encourages voters to cast votes
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU