Christchurch mosque attack
Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges
Published: 12:03 PM, 14 June 2019 Updated: 12:37 PM, 14 June 2019
Brenton Tarrant. the main suspect of the Christchurch mosque attacks
The main suspect of the Christchurch attacks in March has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant is charged 92 charges including the murder of 51 people, 40 counts of attempted murder and one terrorism charge in New Zealand’s deadliest peacetime mass shooting.
During the hearing, the prisoner sat silently as his lawyer read out his plea. A number of the survivors of the attack and relatives of the victims were in court for the hearing, reports BBC.
As lawyer Shane Tait read out his client's not guilty pleas, a number of those present gasped and became tearful.
High Court Justice Cameron Mander said the trial had been set for May 4 next year, and that Mr Tarrant would be remanded in custody until a case review hearing on August 16.
At his last court appearance in April, he was ordered to undergo mental health assessments to determine whether he was fit to stand trial.
In a statement, Judge Mander said on Friday, “No issue arises regarding the defendant's fitness to plead, to instruct counsel, and to stand his trial. A fitness hearing is not required.”
Meanwhile, this is the first time a terrorism charge has been brought in New Zealand.
Darkest day of New Zealand
On March 15, the suspect was arrested or his involvement in the shootings at the Al Noor mosque and the Linwood Islamic Centre, both located in Christchurch.
He drove first to the Al Noor mosque, parked nearby and began firing into the mosque as he walked in through the front entrance.
He fired on men, women, and children inside for about five minutes. The attack was live-streamed from a head-mounted camera.
Then, the suspect drove about 5km (three miles) to the Linwood mosque and killed more people.
The gunman, armed with semi-automatic rifles including an AR-15, is believed to have modified his weapons with high-capacity magazines - the part of the gun which stores ammunition - so they could hold more bullets.
Brenton Tarrant is currently being kept in isolation at the Auckland Prison in Paremoremo, considered New Zealand’s toughest prison.
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge