Surma-Dhanu rivers in hand of influential occupiers
Published: 03:40 PM, 22 March 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
About 50 kilometers of Sunamganj’s Surma and Dhanu rivers are under-occupiers. And the rivers occupy is increasing day by day. In this, boat movement is disrupting and fishermen are being deprived of fishing.
The rivers’ boundary that are in possession-- Jamalganj Upazila’s Lalpur, Laxmipur, Rampur, Jamlabaj, Gazaria, Kamdharpur, Alipur, Amanipur, Bishnupur, and Dhamapasha Upazila’s Golokpur, Babupur, Chadra, Shoytankhali, and Khaliajur Upazila’s Nautana that is conncted between Sunamgnaj-Netrokona, Jagannathpur, Asadpur, Rajibpur, Lipsabazar, Shibir, Shaldigha, Harakandi, Pathra, and Mohonganj Upazila’s Gaglajur Bazar, Mandarbari, Gaglajur New Bazar.
To make fishing in these parts, the tree-bamboo perimeter have been made for catching fish. As a result, the movement of the boat is interrupted. And due to this, the accident or obstacle is happening.
Anil Barman of Fenarbank UP of Jamalganj, Joy Mohan Barman, son of Hari Das Barman of Amanipur village, Samer Barman, Rana Barman said that they are running family by laboring in the other person’s house by leaving the ancestor’s profession. Those who have money and muscle power, they are occupying river, haor, bill.
Farmer Ali of Gazaria village said that due to lack of excavation of Surma and Dhanu rivers, the river was filled. “Now, the fishing places are in the hand of the influential people. Large boats cannot run properly on the river. If the excavation is done in Surma and Dhanu rivers, then we do not have to worry about the fish, including the protecting the haor,” he said.
BIWTA’s Pilot Inspector Md Shaheed Mia, who is in charge of the supervision from the river’s Chattak to Bhairab, said that the notice has been given to remove the bamboos and thorns from the river more than once. “But they did not take it away. The next step will be taken after discussing the matter with the senior authority.”
“Effective steps will be taken very soon after discussing the eviction drive for the removing river occupiers with the senior authorities,” said Mohammad Mostafizur Rahman, deputy director of the BIWTA’s Ashuganj-Bhairab Bazar River Port.
Jamalganj UNO Shamim Al-Imran said that legal action will be taken after inspection.
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Russia eases citizenship rules in east Ukraine
- Govt mulling commission to identify Bangabandhu killers
- Sri Lanka admits `major` lapse over deadly Islamist blasts
- Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan reach semifinals
- Malaria situation improves in CHT
- PM alerted about terror activities
- 105 illegal structures demolished in N’ganj, Tongi
- Indian envoy calls on President
- PM consoles Zayan’s family
- Zayan laid to rest
- Brexit or no Brexit, UK with Bangladesh: Sir Simon
- BNP mourns Zayan’s killing in Sri Lanka bombings
- DU-affiliated 7 college students withdraw blockade
- Zayan’s namaz-e-janaza held
- Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar!
- Mannan for tapping huge potentials of blue economy
- UFO sightings have reached an all-time high
- Primary assistant teacher recruitment exam from May 10
- Procession, meeting banned at IU
- Company tempted farmers for tobacco cultivation!
- Google gets FAA OK for drone deliveries
- Sri Lanka attacks: Bomber ‘studied in UK and Australia’
- PM at Banani to see Zayan’s body
- OC’s cellphones seized over Nusrat killing case
- ‘We stand beside Mila’
- Fire at Kutupalong Rohingya camp
- Edu minister for upsurge education budget
- Harvesting Irri-boro paddy begins in Rajshahi
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand