Super cyclone Amphan claims 9 lives
Published: 01:01 AM, 21 May 2020 Updated: 06:28 AM, 21 May 2020
Super cyclone Amphan killed nine people in six districts of the country. Of them, two are from Bhola, two from Patuakhali, two from Jashore, one each from Pirojpur, Satkhira and Chattogram.
News sent by district correspondents:
Bhola: An old man named Siddique Fakir has been killed when a tree fell on his head in storm. The incident took place at South Aichar Char Kachchupia in the upazila on Wednesday morning. Besides, a young man drowned in the Meghna river in Bhola. The incident took place at Ilisha Ghat in the morning. The deceased was identified as Rafiqul Islam, a resident of Ward 9, Hasan Nagar UP, Borhanuddin upazila.
Borhanuddin Police Station OC Mr. Anamul Haque said the youth worked in Chattogram. He was killed when a trawler overturned in the Meghna River on his way to Ilisha Ghat in Bhola from Maju Chowdhury Ghat in Lakhsmipur in the morning.
Patuakhali: A volunteer has been killed when a boat capsized while he was trying to evacuate people from Hurricane Amphan at Kalapara in Patuakhali. Besides, a child was killed in a tree felling in Galachipa upazila. These things happen in the morning and in the evening.
Jashore: Mother and daughter killed after being crushed under tree in cyclone Amphan at Chaugachha in Jashore. The incident took place at Chandpur village of the Upazila on Wednesday night. The deceased were identified as Khayanta Begum, wife of Wazed Ali and her daughter Rabeya.
Satkhira: A woman has been killed when a tree branch broke while she was collecting mangoes in a storm in Satkhira. The incident took place at Sangeeta area of the city at night.
Pirojpur: A man has been killed in the storm at Mathbaria in Pirojpur. The incident took place in the area of Mathbaria College in the evening, said Mathbaria Police Station OC Mr. Masuduzzaman.
Chattogarm: A young man named Mohammad Salauddin drowned in the tidal waters caused by cyclone Amphan in Sandwip of Chattogram. Locals recovered his body from the riverbank in Ward No 2 of the municipality at noon.
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Motijheel zone ADC Mithu infected with coronavirus
- 1,119 policemen recovery from coronavirus
- COVID-19 claims more than 348,000 lives globally
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Rain likely to increase, signal 3 for maritime ports
- ‘Keyamat Theke Keyamat’ re-airs today
- Miss Universe NZ finalist Amber-Lee Friis found dead at home
- Envoy Group Chairman contracted COVID-19
- Sunbeams School founder Niloufer Manzur succumbs to COVID-19
- Deputy Speaker Fazle Rabbi’s wife dies at 67
- Another 22 infected with coronavirus in Tangail
- Woman gives childbirth at gate as hospital reluctant to admit her
- COVID-19 rapidly surging in Brazil
- Dhaka-returnee 9 months pregnant contracted COVID-19
- WHO suspends hydroxychloroquine’s trial for coronavirus treatment
- 5.1 quake hits Sylhet
- Maritime ports asked to keep hoisted signal 3
- Dr Zafrullah tests positive for coronavirus
- Earthquake of magnitude 5.5 jolts Manipur
- Bangladesh exports 6.5m PPE to US
- Coronavirus deaths toll top 347,000 globally
- Modi phones PM, extends Eid greetings
- President urges affluent to stand by poor
- Holy Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated across country
- Imam dies while offering Eid prayers
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- President offers Eid prayers at Bangabhaban
- PM greets FFs with gifts on Eid
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- All News »
- ‘Movement Pass’ will be required for movement
- Pak model Zara Abid feared dead in plane crash
- Track of cyclone ‘Amphan’ (Live)
- After ‘Amphan’, there will be ‘Cyclone Nisharga’
- Highest COVID-19 deaths, cases recorded in 24 hrs
- ‘Amphan’ closer to Bangladesh; Great Danger Signal No 10 issued
- 1694 infected in 24hrs, 24 more dead
- Death toll in Pakistan plane crash hits 66
- ‘Amphan’ likely to hit late night
- Great danger signal for Ctg-Cox’s Bazar too
- Super cyclone Amphan claims 9 lives
- 1251 new infected in 24hrs, 21 more dead
- PIA flight with 98 passengers crashes in Pakistan
- Popular model dead in Pakistan plane crash
- Cyclone Amphan: 5-10 foot tall tidal waves likely
- Cyclone Amphan: What Met Office say in special bulletin no 24
- ‘Amphan’ moves 165km towards Bangladesh in a night
- Super Cyclone ‘Amphan’ 700 km near to Bangladesh
- Amphan moving forwards with speed of 245 kmph
- Cyclone Amphan: Live updates
- 1617 new infected in 24hrs, 16 more dead
- Apurba and Tisha ‘Missing’
- Dhaka’s air quality good today
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Trump calls WHO a puppet of China
- Uber Eats going to be closed in Bangladesh
- Cyclone Amphan: Great Danger Signal likely to be issued
- Online store “Facebook Shops” launched
- Nushrat wants to get married!
- Nearly 5000 recover from COVID-19 in country