Super Salah named PFA Player of the Year
Published: 05:40 PM, 23 April 2018
Mohamed Salah’s stunning season at Liverpool, which has delivered 41 goals, has seen him named the PFA Player of the Year for 2017-18.
Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne finished second in the voting, with Tottenham striker Harry Kane coming in third.
Acquired for £36.9 million in the summer of 2017, the Egypt international has made a remarkable and record-breaking impact during the second stint in England.
A previous spell at Chelsea which saw him struggle to prove his worth has been quickly erased from the memory by a dazzling debut campaign at Anfield.
Those exploits have now been recognised by his peers, with Salah taking the top prize at the 45th PFA Awards at Grosvenor House in central London on Sunday evening.
He had faced fierce competition for a prestigious prize, with De Bruyne having enjoyed an eye-catching campaign with Premier League champions Manchester City.
His Etihad Stadium team-mates Leroy Sane and David Silva had also been in the running after helping to restore domestic dominance for the Blues.
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea and Kane completed the six-man shortlist.
All were worthy contenders, but Salah has emerged victorious after enjoying the most consistent of seasons.
He marked his competitive Reds debut with a goal against Watford on the opening weekend and has not looked back.
His 46 outings across all competitions have seen him find the target 41 times – with 31 Premier League efforts enough to have him leading Golden Ball and Golden Shoe races.
Salah is also chasing down the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year award, with it possible that he could emulate a double achieved by former Liverpool icon Luis Suarez in 2013-14.
He has already matched the Uruguayan’s best return across a Premier League campaign and is chasing down the Reds’ record single-season haul of 47 achieved by Ian Rush in 1983-84.
So impressive has he been this term that he has already raised the English top-flight bar by becoming the first man to be named Player of the Month on three occasions.
There could be more of those honours to follow, while the 25-year-old can be expected to clean up at Liverpool’s end of season awards.
A Champions League crown is also there to be shot at by the only Reds star to have made the 2017-18 Premier League Team of the Year.
Salah is joined in that selection by City quartet De Bruyne, Kyle Walker, Nicolas Otamendi and Sergio Aguero, Spurs trio Kane, Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen, De Gea and Chelsea full-back Marcos Alonso.
- Make popcorn at home
- Woman teems 4 children at once
- Mentally disabled man memorizes entire Holy Quran
- ‘Enjoy rape in failure to prevent’
- Chris: World’s heaviest sheep ever
- Alia-Ranbir wedding card revealed!
- ‘Nagad’ account in 1 minute
- Govt incentive surges remittance flow
- Goat morsels plant: Youth killed in scuffle
- MPO Enroll: Priority given to remote areas’ insts
- 4 companies fined in Chandina market
- FICA supports players’ strike
- ECNEC clears 5 projects of Tk 4636.80 cr
- No ‘Classical Music Festival’ this year
- Asif plays villain in debut!
- 37th BCS Non-cadre result published
- OC dismissed for intercedes Razakar
- Sand imported from China instead of cotton
- No Salary for 27 months despite daily attendance Tk 60
- UK team meets DU VC
- Nusrat murder case verdict Oct 24
- Way to use body scrubber to get brighter skin
- NBR gets time to report on chemical testing unit
- 157 dead in Iraq protests: new official toll
- Bimal Biswas left WPB
- Hearing on Robi’s due appeal Thursday
- Cricketers’ movement unexpected: Papon
- Amitabh apologizes, storm on social media
- Banning unlicensed easybike-rickshaw in city
- Stop unhealthy race on roads: PM
- All News »
- Pooja Zunjar, new born baby die as family fails to get ambulance
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- JMI Hospital Requisite holds IPO road show
- Padma Bank Limited receive insurance cheque
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- Johnson sends unsigned letter to EU for Brexit delay
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today
- ‘Kathin Chibar Dan’ being celebrated
- BUET students’ call off protests
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- City Bank MD alleged for sexual assault
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Sabila Nur’s honeymoon preparation!
- ‘Kurigram Express’ to be launched today