Super Salah named PFA Player of the Year
Published: 05:40 PM, 23 April 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Mohamed Salah’s stunning season at Liverpool, which has delivered 41 goals, has seen him named the PFA Player of the Year for 2017-18.
Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne finished second in the voting, with Tottenham striker Harry Kane coming in third.
Acquired for £36.9 million in the summer of 2017, the Egypt international has made a remarkable and record-breaking impact during the second stint in England.
A previous spell at Chelsea which saw him struggle to prove his worth has been quickly erased from the memory by a dazzling debut campaign at Anfield.
Those exploits have now been recognised by his peers, with Salah taking the top prize at the 45th PFA Awards at Grosvenor House in central London on Sunday evening.
He had faced fierce competition for a prestigious prize, with De Bruyne having enjoyed an eye-catching campaign with Premier League champions Manchester City.
His Etihad Stadium team-mates Leroy Sane and David Silva had also been in the running after helping to restore domestic dominance for the Blues.
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea and Kane completed the six-man shortlist.
All were worthy contenders, but Salah has emerged victorious after enjoying the most consistent of seasons.
He marked his competitive Reds debut with a goal against Watford on the opening weekend and has not looked back.
His 46 outings across all competitions have seen him find the target 41 times – with 31 Premier League efforts enough to have him leading Golden Ball and Golden Shoe races.
Salah is also chasing down the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year award, with it possible that he could emulate a double achieved by former Liverpool icon Luis Suarez in 2013-14.
He has already matched the Uruguayan’s best return across a Premier League campaign and is chasing down the Reds’ record single-season haul of 47 achieved by Ian Rush in 1983-84.
So impressive has he been this term that he has already raised the English top-flight bar by becoming the first man to be named Player of the Month on three occasions.
There could be more of those honours to follow, while the 25-year-old can be expected to clean up at Liverpool’s end of season awards.
A Champions League crown is also there to be shot at by the only Reds star to have made the 2017-18 Premier League Team of the Year.
Salah is joined in that selection by City quartet De Bruyne, Kyle Walker, Nicolas Otamendi and Sergio Aguero, Spurs trio Kane, Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen, De Gea and Chelsea full-back Marcos Alonso.
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Saroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- BNP candidate Siraj wins Bogura-6 by-polls
- Ebola death toll breaks 1,500 mark in DRC
- Liton sends Ikram back by direct hit
- Shakib gets 4, Afghanistan`s 5 down
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia