Sundarbans Day today
Published: 12:23 PM, 14 February 2020 Updated: 04:33 PM, 14 February 2020
File Photo, Collected
Today 14 February, most of us consider it as Valentine’s Day. However, unfortunately, we are not concerned about another day on the same day which is highly proximate to us, The Sundarbans Day.
Sundarbans, the largest single block of tidal halophytic mangrove forest in the world, located in the southwestern part of Bangladesh. It lies on the Ganges-Brahmaputra Delta at the point where it merges with the BAY OF BENGAL. The forest plays a vital rule in sustainability of the environment of Bangladesh. Specially in time of cyclones, it saves the country as a life jacket!
Love Sundarbans on Valentine’s Day. At the same time, raise public awareness in preserving the biodiversity of the Sundarbans. With this aim, Sundarbans Day is celebrated on 14th February.
The first National Sundarbans Conference was held on February 14, 2001, under the (Bangladesh Poribesh Andolon, with the initiative of Khulna University, Khulna's voluntary organizations-Rupantar and Parash and 70 other environmentalist organizations.
The conference declared 'Sundarbans Day' on 14th February. Since then day is being celebrated as 'Sundarbans Day.
This year, as usual, the main event of Sundarbans Day is in Khulna. Different events have been organized to mark the day.
The Sundarbans have around 5000 thousand species of plants, 198 species of amphibian, reptiles of 124 species, 579 species of birds, 125 species of mammals and 30 species of shrimps.
The World Heritage Sundarbans are under threat today due to the invasion of forest destroyers. The entire country environment, including the southwest, is closely linked with the Sundarbans. Therefore, to protect the forest, everyone has to be aware and work together loving nature. So the day should be marked in a proper way to create public awareness about saving our lifesaver friend Sundarbans.
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- FIFA U20 Women`s World Cup postponed
- UP member held with govt reliefs in Natore
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Huawei records $123 billion revenue growth in 2019
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US experienced highest death record in a day
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus