Suman in HC seeking ban on unnecessary C-section
Published: 01:31 PM, 25 June 2019
Barrister Syed Sayedul Haque Suman on Tueday filed a writ petition seeking ban on unnecessary caesarean section, commonly known as C-sections, for delivering babies.
The lawyer submitted the petition including reports, that published in various newspaper. Health Ministry, Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC) have been defendants to the writ.
The HC bench of Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif and Justice Razik Al-Jalil will hold hearing on the petition.
Recently, international development organization Save the Children published a report on unnecessary Caesarean section for delivering babies in Bangladesh. According to the report, the number of medically unnecessary Caesarean section between 2016 and 2018 increased by 51 percent. Meanwhile, the C-section rate between 2004 and 2016 in Bangladesh increased from 4 percent to 31 percent.
The report said that unnecessary C-sections put mothers and babies at needless risk, increasing the likelihood of infection, excessive bleeding, organ damage and blood clots as well as ensuring a significantly longer recovery time for the mother. It also takes away the benefits of a natural birth, which enables newborns to receive a dose of good bacteria that’s believed to boost their immune system when they travel through the birth canal, and enables a mother and her baby to have physical contact earlier and breastfeeding to begin sooner.
In 2018, 77 percent of all C-section operations or an estimated 860,000 procedures were medically unnecessary. Bangladeshi parents paid $483 million in out-of-pocket expenses in the year for C-sections that were medically unnecessary. That’s an average cost of $612 per case. About 80 percent of all births in private hospitals in Bangladesh are now C-sections.
Save the Children is calling for better regulation of the industry, more checks and balances on doctors who carry out the procedure and greater funding for vital maternal health services.
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge