Sugar rise during pregnancy could make childhood obesity
Published: 10:50 PM, 18 June 2019
The children of women who have high glucose blood levels during pregnancy, even if their mothers are not diagnosed with gestational diabetes, are at an increased risk of developing obesity in childhood, according to a new study published in PLOS One.
The study was coauthored by Samantha Ehrlich, professor of public health at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville and fellow researchers at Kaiser Permanente Northern California.
For the research, scientists analyzed the data of more than 40,000 pregnant women who delivered babies between 1995 and 2004 in the Kaiser Permanente Northern California health care system. They also considered the data of the children, whom they followed until 5 to 7 years of age.
In the United States, pregnant women get a blood glucose screening test between weeks 24 and 28. If the test shows elevated blood glucose levels, an additional test is then done to determine whether the woman has gestational diabetes mellitus, or GDM.
However, Ehrlich and team found that once elevated levels of blood glucose are found on the screening test, even if the blood glucose is not elevated enough for a diagnosis of gestational diabetes, the children are at higher risk of developing obesity between 5 to 7 years of age. In this scenario, the risk increases by 13 percent when compared to women with normal blood glucose levels on the screening test.
"And if the woman is indeed diagnosed with gestational diabetes, the risk of the child developing obesity increases by 52 percent," according to Ehrlich.
Additionally, researchers also found that if the mother has a normal body mass index (BMI), elevated blood glucose levels during pregnancy were no longer associated with the development of childhood obesity.
"This information is important because it suggests that we may be able to prevent childhood obesity in two ways: by helping mothers to achieve a normal BMI before they become pregnant, and by reducing hyperglycemia during the pregnancy," Ehrlich said.
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- Father stabbed dead allegedly by son
- Taxicab, which falls into Turag, not traced even after 11 hrs
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Today’s sports on TV
- Lightning strikes kill 32 in Uttar Pradesh
- Housewife`s body recovered from Chikli River
- Reckless Green Line takes woman`s life
- Bangladesh wins 3 bronze in International Biology Olympiad
- AL will compete in Ershad’s seat
- DU students to stage demo tomorrow
- Govt appoints 70 DAGs
- Ferries not to carry truck during Eid
- Two bodies recovered in Pabna
- Muri Paddy makes farmer happy
- Hajj 2019: Multi-Storey tents in Mina for first time ever!
- Aush-Amon flooded in Moulvibazar
- Emotional Patrick Stewart unveils new Star Trek
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Artificial milk production: Cost TK 6, Sell TK 61!
- HC fixed further time for Greenline
- Abduction, blackmale then ransom
- Rooppur pillow issue: HC waits for ministry’s action
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars any day
- Rajshahi Kings sign JP Duminy
- Death convict surrendered
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Minni sent to jail
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Minni on 5-day remand
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes