Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
Published: 07:56 PM, 22 February 2020 Updated: 07:59 PM, 22 February 2020
In the year 1999, three patients brought to Mount Hospital. As soon as they brought to the hospital, doctors and nurses rushed to their treatment. When asked the manager, he said “they are the workers of the then PHP Group (now PHP Family) of Sufi Mizan. He directs if any staff of his company gets sick and admitted, immediate treatment must be given”.
After then, I heard the name of Sufi Mizan first. The next day, I saw fruits coming from the factory and foods are being sent from home to cabin-cabin for the patients. At the same time, there is constant supervision.
It got me really surprised that when many employees of some of the country’s most renowned corporate organizations get sick, the company doesn’t take such good care where Sufi Mizan is providing VVIP treatment for injured workers!
In the year 2000, when the authorities of Mount Diagnostic Center, located beside Mount Hospital, could not provide Eid bonus to the 60 staff due to financial instability — a representative of Sufi Mizan came with help and gave financial assistance to the staff of the diagnostic center. After getting the Eid cost for their families, everyone gets happy with tears of joy and gratitude.
Sufi Mizan, also known as Sufi Mohammed Mizanur Rahman, chairman of the PHP Family, recently awarded Ekushey Padak in Social Service. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina handed over the award to him at Osmani Memorial Auditorium in the capital on February 20.
After getting the nomination for Ekushey Padak, I went to the PHP Family office in Chattogram to congratulate him where I was accompanied by Mohammed Mohsin, the older son of Sufi Mizan and vice president of the company.
When talking with him, he told many untold stories about him, about his vision and ideology. At one point, he told: “Learn to love people, you will find God among human beings.”
Starting the career with a monthly salary of only Tk 100 at Jalal Jute Mill in Narayanganj is now the best businessman and entrepreneur in the country.
After passing intermediate, he went to Chattogram with a job in the then National Bank of Pakistan (now Sonali Bank Limited) in 1965. Immediately after independence, he started his business where his capital was only Tk 1143. And now his PHP Family investing millions of money which is an inspiration to the young generation.
When talking with him, he said that in order to establish, you must grow the ‘truth’ in yourself. “If you want to please the creator, you have to be a good person. The more you work for the people, the bigger you will become,” he said.
Born on March 12, 1943, at Kanchan village in Rupganj upazila of Narayanganj district, Sufi Mohammed Mizanur Rahman completed his secondary education in 1961 from Bharat Chandra School and higher secondary in 1963 from Tolaram College in Narayanganj. Later, he graduated from Dhaka Univerity with a B.com degree.
PHP is currently investing in more than 24 sectors in the country. These include — steel, fisheries, stocks and securities, power generation plants, continuous galvanizing mills, shipping agency, flat glass, latex and rubber production, terminal and distribution, properties, petro refinery, agro product, University of Information Technology and Science, cold storage, ship breaking and recycling, oversees hospital, hospitals, airlines, electric and automobiles.
- 52 areas of Capital locked down
- Spain records 743 more coronavirus deaths today
- Emergency telehealth service to launch for BU students
- Coronavirus infection tops 1.4 mn; death toll surging to 80,000
- 6 families in Ctg put in quarantine
- Narayanganj lockdown
- Why today’s Supermoon `pink`
- 170 families on voluntary lockdown in Dinajpur
- Coronavirus death toll tops 78,000
- Japan declares state of emergency amid coronavirus
- Lockdown to be extended in India
- Jagdal UP in Magura announced lockdown
- ‘Majed’s death sentence after completing formalities’
- Narsingdi coronavirus infected youth in isolation
- Wages to be paid by April 16: Commerce Minister
- RAB fined 50 for reasonless roaming in capital
- Edu institutions to remain closed till Eid holidays
- 3 houses under lockdown in Lakshmipur
- Trains to turn into hospitals in India
- 3 held with 17-kg weed in Brahmanbaria
- Farmer electrocuted to death in Mymensingh
- Youth killed in Dinajpur road crash
- IPL can hold in October-November!
- MP of Narsingdi distributes food items among 1,500 families
- 2 youths provide 7 days’ food to 150
- Ferdous living with kids separately from wife
- District council stands by 5000 families in Gazipur
- 16 samples collected from Kurigram
- FIFA U20 Women`s World Cup postponed
- UP member held with govt reliefs in Natore
- All News »
- Fishermen killed dolphin in Cox’s Bazar
- Coronavirus death toll passes 50,000
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million
- Sylhet records 1st coronavirus case
- Army to go tough from today
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- BTV bringing back Humayun Ahmed’s ‘Bohubrihi’ ‘Kothao Keu Nei’
- Italy coronavirus death toll surpass 12,000
- Death toll passes 42,000 worldwide
- PM declares action plan to combat COVID-19 today
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Fire at Karwan Bazar
- Salman Khan`s nephew Abdullah dies at 38
- 11 in Mirpur, 9 in Bashabo contract from coronavirus
- Indian-origin South African HIV researcher dies from coronavirus
- Coronavirus: New symptom heart attack
- Bangabandhu’s killer Abdul Majed held
- Huawei records $123 billion revenue growth in 2019
- Soldiers get urgent medical equips from Army Aviation
- Wimbledon cancelled for first time since World War II
- US experienced highest death record in a day
- Case filed for ‘Genda Phool’!
- Ban on public transport extended till April 11
- 13-year-old dies of coronavirus in London
- Coronavirus test in Rangpur Medical begins
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 56
- Prince Charles recovers from coronavirus
- 9 more diagnosed with coronavirus, raising total to 70
- Philippines ambassador to Lebanon dies of coronavirus