Schoolgirl Aritree Adhikari suicide
Students resume demo demanding justice for Aritree
Published: 11:23 AM, 5 December 2018 Updated: 12:06 PM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The students of Viqarunnisa Noon School and College resumed their demonstration on the second consecutive day on Wednesday, demanding punishment and removal of its principal and accused teachers over the suicide of its student Aritree Adhikari.
A group of students, including the classmates of Aritree, took position in front of the main gate of the educational institution with placards and were staging demonstration till filing of the report around 10:40 am.
Earlier on Tuesday night, a case was filed against its Principal Naznin Ferdous, morning shift in-charge Jinat Ara and class teacher of Class-IX Hasna Hena over the suicide of Aritree Adhikari.
Victim's father Dilip Adhikari filed the case with Paltan Police Station on Tuesday night accusing the trio of prompting Aritee to commit suicide through their actions.
Amid the widespread criticisms over the incident, the school authorities issued a show-cause notice to morning shift in-charge Zinnat Ara in this connection.
Aritree Adhikari, a Class-IX student, reportedly committed suicide at their Shantinagar residence in the city on Monday after allegedly being rebuked by the teachers for using mobile phone during examination.
Amid the protests, the High Court on Tuesday made an observation that the suicide by the student of Viqarunnisa Noon School is heart-rending and termed the insult of her parents a 'very bad example'.
Meanwhile, two separate probe committees have been formed to probe the suicide incident.
The government formed a probe committee led by Prof Mohammad Yusuf, director of Dhaka Regional Education office. The committee has been asked to submit its report within three days.
Besides, the school authorities formed a three-member probe committee which was asked to submit its report within three days.
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- JP`s proposal to ensure safe Eid- journey
- Trump and Abe do diplomacy over golf and sumo
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized