Student orgs ready to nominate candidates
Published: 05:00 PM, 24 February 2019
Awami League (AL) backed Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL), BNP’s student wing Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD), left alliances and quota reform movement campaigner’s platform are fully prepared to announce their candidates for the Dhaka University Central Students’ Union (DUCSU) and hall union polls scheduled for March 11.
BCL will announce its full panel by tomorrow, the deadline for collecting nomination papers, BCL central committee president Rezwanul Haque Chowdhury Shovon confirmed.
He said: “Our prime minister will decide the top three posts for DUCSU. We have already prepared a draft list of candidates for all posts. We can finalize it by tomorrow after a meeting with the PM.”
According to AL high-ups, the BCL central committee president, its general secretary Golam Rabbani and DU unit general secretary Saddam Hussain would vie for the post of DUCSU vice-president (VP), general secretary (GS) and assistant general secretary (AGS) posts in DUCSU polls, respectively.
BCL DU unit president Sonjit Chandra Das also welcomed these three possible nominees on his Facebook wall.
Meanwhile, BCL president Shovon and BCL’s DU unit GS Saddam Hussain held a meeting with the top female leaders of the organisation at the Madhur Canteen to finalise nominations of the women dormitories.
Leaders of the BCL hall committees want nomination but top leaders want to choose their candidates on the basis of their popularity and electability.
“As the victory in DUCSU and hall union polls depends on the votes of general students, we have to work in a planned manner,” said Shovon.
“After the quota reform movement, some problems arose in the female dormitories. Students active in extra-curricular activities will get priority in getting BCL’s ticket for the hall union polls,” said Saddam Hussain.
JCD: Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal started distributing party nomination papers at the party’s Naya Paltan central office though the students’ body is still demanding delay in the poll and waiving the age limit.
Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi, BNP Publicity Affairs’ Secretary Shahid Uddin Chowdhury Annie, Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD) president Rajib Ahsan, and other JCD leaders and activists were present during distribution of the nomination papers.
While meeting with reporters at Madhur Canteen, Chhatra Dal DU unit president Al Mehedi Talukder said: “We are ready to participate in the election, although our demands have not yet been met. We will announce our panel soon.”
LEFT BODIES: Progressive Students’ Alliance and Anti-Imperialism Students’ Unity, two allies of left leaning student bodies’ are likely to announce their combined panel today or tomorrow.
Bangladesh Chhatra Union central GS Liton Nandi may vie for the VP post of DUCSU.
Bangladesh General Students’ Rights Protection Council which spearheaded the quota reform movement across the country last year – is going to announce their independent candidates’ panel today.
“We are on the verge of finalizing our full panel and will announce it tomorrow (Sunday),” said Nurul Haq Nur.
Nomination papers are being distributed, free of cost, from February 19, which will end tomorrow. Nomination papers have to be submitted by February 26, between 9am to 12pm.
- Rowshan thanks countrymen for showing respect to Ershad
- Man gets life term for raping teenager in Kurigram
- 10 dead, many trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Why Patience is a Virtue?
- Mobile healthcare for flood victims
- Why railway crossing ‘death trap’?
- Monsoon rains wreak flood havoc across South Asia
- I am not a racist, insists Trump
- Rifat`s wife Minni arrested
- Flood affects 42 villages in Sherpur
- We have to stand against militancy: Monirul
- Someshwari river erosion continues
- Kader’s health test completed, doctors satisfied
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Before the last ball, I thought of Mushfiqur: Stokes
- Vivo ‘Made in Bangladesh’ soon
- Ershad laid to rest in Rangpur
- US Navy reports cyberwar skill as ‘National Miscalculation’
- Shakib in Harsha Bhogle CWC19 XI
- PM directed not to buy ‘DEMU’ train more
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Bijoy, Taijul call up for Sri Lanka series
- ECNEC clears 8 projects involving Tk 5,142.6 cr
- Ershad to be buried in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ex-RAJUK chair Harun gets anticipatory bail
- Heat wave sweeping over Khulna, may spread
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Rohingya crisis: ICC delegation in Dhaka
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva