Strawberry farming in Rajshahi div
Published: 07:35 PM, 28 February 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
Kawsar Habib, 32, has brought economic emancipation in his life through strawberry farming which has also enhanced his level of confidence to a greater extent.
Habib, a resident of Kalupur village under Shibganj upazila in Chapai Nawabganj district, is now very much hopeful of making profit worth around Taka five to six lakh this season. “I have spent around Taka six lakh for cultivating the cash crop on six bigha of land,” said Habib while talking to the correspondent on Wednesday.
Seven people work in his field as regular in addition to seven to eight others as casual workers. Sadrul Islam, 42, who used to work as assistant of a truck driver couple of years ago, has now become a successful strawberry farmer. He says strawberry farming is profitable than many other crops. But this farming needs additional labor and care.
Abul Kalam, a farmer of Darusha village under Paba upazila, said strawberry, a succulent fruit popular in different parts of the globe, is also gradually becoming popular among the local people.
At present, they are selling strawberry at Taka 1,000 to 1,200 per kilogram.
Habib, Islam and Kalam are among many others who have built their fortune through strawberry farming in the area.
Md Aminuzzaman, Upazila Agriculture Officer, says strawberry was cultivated on more than 70 bighs of lands in the upazila this season. Harvesting begins in January and continues till March. But the farmers get maximum yield in February. Normally, a farmer can get 1,500 to 2,000 kilograms yield from one bigha of land.
He added that the strawberry farming has gained popularity not only in Shibganj but also everywhere in Rajshahi region for economic prospect of the cash crop.
Farmers’ level extension of strawberry farming can bring a new horizon to the agriculture sector in the region.
Prof Dr Manzur Hossain of Department of Botany in Rajshahi University, who is a pioneer in the country’s strawberry research, variety innovation and growers’ level farming expansion, said Bangladeshi strawberry variety has been adjudged as the world’s best strawberry.
“We have innovated three varieties of strawberry through applying tissue culture method,” he said.
“In the demonstration field, all those were found adaptive to the region’s soil and environmental conditions,” Prof Dr Hossain, added.
He has been multiplying the variety on his own horticulture farm for the last couple of years. The new variety of strawberry can be harvested within two and a half months of its plantation and a farmer can earn around Taka 1.5 lakh by farming it on one bigha of land with expenditure of only Taka 30,000, he said.
“Each plant bears around 250 to 300 grams of fruit and some 6,000 plants can be grown on one bigha of land,” Dr Hossain said, adding with farmer-level price of around Taka 800-1,000 per kg, the commercially potential fruit will have a bigger market locally and globally and benefit farmers enormously.
Now, a large number of people, mostly unemployed youths, have become dependent on strawberry farming to earn a living, as its cultivation is easier and more profitable than other crops, he said.
The youths are supplying strawberry to different markets across the country as the soft fruit is being used in preparing ice-cream, jam, jelly, pickles, chocolates and biscuits.
ATM Rafiqul Islam, Deputy Manager (Agriculture) of Barind Multipurpose Development Authority, said there has been a bright prospect of farming strawberry everywhere in the country excepting the coastal districts.
The red juicy and nutritious fruit produced by him is now being supplied to posh markets in the capital Dhaka.
The country can earn huge foreign currencies from strawberry export if its commercial farming starts at national level, he hoped.
“The fruit will no doubt be a profitable crop for farmers. If it is grown on a large scale, the highly nutritious fruit will come within the reach of the common people. There will be no need for imports,” said Agriculturist Rafique.
- FaceApp occupies 15 crore subscribers’ gallery!
- Humanity for animal !
- Bangladeshis among 285 immigrants detained on Iran boarder
- A woman: Dancer to detective
- Humayun Ahmed`s 7th death anniv today
- Bernard topped Bill Gates on Rich List
- ICC debarred Zimbabwe
- PM flies to London
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM flies to London tomorrow
- DC conference: Vast responsibility, directives
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- HC’s directive to dispose woman, child repression case in 180 day
- Navy got ‘National Fisheries Award’19 Gold medal
- Boat hats in Manikganj
- 8000 cattle ready for Qurbani market
- Shakib in Cricinfo’s XI; not Kohli
- Beauty of Tanguar Haor in Monsoon
- Illegal expats to return home paying TK 14 thou
- Two sisters drowned in Tangail
- UN chief concerns over Rohingya crisis
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- WASA’s 11 corrupt source found
- HC refuses to interfere on Minni`s remand order
- Indictment hearing in Barapukuria graft case deferred
- Man to die for killing wife in Rajshahi
- DU students block Shahabagh again
- 24 dead in arson attack at Japan studio
- GM Quader appointed JaPa chairman
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- How to get HSC result
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday