Stokes, Hales available for England after disciplinary case
Published: 01:02 PM, 8 December 2018 Updated: 01:02 PM, 8 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Ben Stokes and Alex Hales remain eligible for selection for England's cricket team after receiving sanctions on Friday for bringing the game into disrepute following their involvement in a brawl outside a nightclub last year.
Stokes was handed a backdated eight-match England ban, and all of those games are deemed to have been served. He was also fined 30,000 pounds ($38,000).
Hales was banned for six matches in white-ball cricket, with two already served and four suspended. He was also fined 17,500 pounds ($22,250), of which 10,000 pounds ($12,700) was suspended.
The pair was involved in a street brawl outside a Bristol nightclub in September 2017, hours after a one-day international against the West Indies.
Stokes, one of the world's most high-profile players and arguably its best allrounder, denied a charge of affray, saying he was acting in self-defense when he knocked out two men. He was cleared following a seven-day trial at Bristol Crown Court last month. Hales was not charged.
Soon after the England and Wales Cricket Board announced the sanctions after the players, Stokes made his first public apology for his role in the fight.
"I regret the incident ever happened and I apologize to England supporters and to the public for bringing the game into disrepute," he said. "I want to say thank you to everyone who has supported me throughout this process.
"This incident has been a huge burden for the last 15 months. I am relieved to get back to playing the game that I love without this hanging over me. Although the disciplinary process is over, I have learned lessons that will stay with me for much longer."
Stokes received a ban of six matches for the incident outside the nightclub and another two for filming what the ECB described as an "inappropriate video" on social media.
Hales, an opening batsman, was with Stokes at the time of the incident in Bristol.
"There is no doubt I fell below the high standards expected of an international sportsman," Hales said, "and that was the reason for my decision to admit the charges and accept the punishment handed down.
"I sincerely apologize for putting myself in a position which allowed these very regrettable incidents to happen."
Stokes missed the tour of Australia, which included the resounding Ashes series defeat, because of the police investigation that was ongoing. He returned to action for England during the New Zealand tour but was forced to miss the second test against India at Lord's this summer owing to a clash with his trial.
England's next assignment is a tour of the West Indies starting January, which includes a three-match test series, five ODIs and three Twenty20 internationals.
- Kim in Russia for Putin summit
- Tarique’s friend Mamun gets 7-year jail
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- PM to visit Sheikh Selim’s residence
- Adulterated sweets, no one to see!
- Zayan’s body arrives in Dhaka
- Two Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ to die
- Earthquake rattles northeast India, Tibet
- Bitter squash in office’s flowerpots
- Rain likely in next 72 hours
- 18 detains in hunt over Sri Lanka bombings
- 2 dies after being pushed out from train
- Toll in Sri Lanka bombings rises to 359
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ today
- Six years of Rana Plaza Tragedy
- Emirates to face Kyrgyzstan today
- 54 feared dead in landslide at Myanmar jade mine
- Second session of 11th JS today
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Zayan’s body to arrive Dhaka today
- India warned Sri Lanka 2 hours before Suicide Attacks
- Hijra, a creature of Allah: Noor
- Online reg required for St. Martin visit
- Biman to resume Dhaka-Delhi flight from May 13
- Kim, Putin to hold first talks in Russia
- PM returns home from Brunei
- Shakib returns for SRH, CSK to bowl
- BNP on extinction boycotting JS says Tofail
- ACC interrogates Jhenaidah MP Mannan
- Special attention on Rohingyas; says CEC
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Adele separates from husband
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death