`Staying away from polls would be suicidal for BNP`
Published: 08:39 PM, 5 January 2018 Updated: 10:20 AM, 6 January 2018
Awami League General Secretary, Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader said on Friday if Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP ) doesn`t take part in the next general elections, it will be second suicidal decision for the party.
"BNP will have to take part in the next national elections...If they stay away from the contest, it will be the second suicidal decision for the party," he said, speaking at a public meeting in front of party office at Bangabandhu Avenue here.
Dhaka City South unit of Awami League organized the meeting marking the Victory Day for Democracy with its President in Abul Hasnat the chair.
AL Presidium Member Dr Abdur Razzak, Organising Secretaries AFM Bahauddin Nasim and AKM Enamul Haque Shamim, Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap, Forest and Environment Secretary Delwar Hossain and Dhaka City South unit of AL General Secretary Shahe Alam Murad, among others, spoke it.
Quader said the next elation will not wait for anyone as like as time and tide wait for none. If BNP misses the election, their political future will be at stake, he observed.
He said the two international conferences held in Dhaka-Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU) and Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA)-proved that there is no crisis of democracy in the country.
The foreign representatives, who took part in the two conferences, highly praised Bangladesh for upholding democracy.
As part of the central programmes, AL Dhaka North unit organized another rally at Banani Puja ground in the afternoon with its President AKM Rahmat Ullah in the chair.
AL Presidium Members Advocate Sahara Khatun, Mohammad Faruk Khan, Joint General Secretary Mahbubul Alam Hanif and Dhaka City North unit of AL General Secretary Sahed Khan, among others, addressed it.
- Child killed in Laxmipur road crash
- Bangladesh take on Burundi in 2nd semifinal tomorrow
- Greece elects first woman president
- S Korean army to discharge transgender soldier
- MP’s son hospitalised after drinking ‘Harpic’
- Paoli Dam in ‘Mahanayika’s role
- Man sentenced to 8 months in jail for killing dog
- Students’ love for Bangabandhu
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Nightlong torture to DU’s 4 students in Abrar style
- Badda lynching case: Probe report Feb 20
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- 48 held in anti-narcotics drive in capital
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- India’s SC refuses to stay Citizenship Act
- Mysterious virus: China warns against travel to Wuhan
- Bone-chilling cold in Kurigram, mercury falls to 7.2°C
- Rohingya Genocide: ICJ to announce verdict tomorrow
- Death toll hits 9 with 440 coronavirus cases: China
- 50 shops gutted in Ukhiya fire
- HC bans laminated posters in city polls
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- One year of losing Imtiaz Bulbul
- China’s ‘Coronavirus’ now attacks US, one died
- Demolition of BGMEA building started
- E-passport to be launched today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Naval services on Paturia-Daulatdia halted
- Copa del Rey: Barcelona to face Ibiza tonight
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- China’s new virus likely to spread around
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Arrest warrant against Prothom Alo Editor