Star Wars’ remains top again in America box office
Published: 02:09 PM, 30 December 2019
Posters of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ has remained in a strong position in North American theaters, taking in an estimated $73.6 million for the three-day weekend, industry watcher Exhibitor Relations reported on Sunday.
The Disney film, marketed as a grand finale of the nine-film ‘Skywalker Saga’ has had mixed reviews and was down considerably from last weekend’s lofty $177.4 million openings.
But it has compiled a strong domestic total of $364.5 million.
It again maintained a big lead over the No. 2 film, Sony’s ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ an action sequel starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Kevin Hart, which had $34.4 million in North American ticket sales for the Friday-through-Sunday period.
In third for the second straight week was Disney’s ‘Frozen II’ at $17 million. The animated musical film has Broadway star Idina Menzel voicing Queen Elsa in her latest adventures.
Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel ‘Little Women’ has been brought to the screen many times — no fewer than seven, by Variety’s count — but the new version from director Greta Gerwig has drawn strong reviews and netted $16.2 million to place fourth in its debut this weekend.
The film stars Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Timothee Chalamet, Emma Watson and Laura Dern, in the story of the joys and struggles of four sisters during the US Civil War.
In fifth was new Fox/Disney release ‘Spies in Disguise’ at $13.4 million. The animated children’s film features the voices of Will Smith and Tom Holland.
Rounding out the top 10 was:
- ‘Knives Out’ ($9.9 million)
- ‘Uncut Gems’ ($9.4 million)
- ‘Bombshell’ ($4.8 million)
- ‘Cats’ ($4.8 million)
- ‘Richard Jewell’ ($3 million)
- 2 bullet pierced bodies recovered in Feni
- Police involved in Delhi mosque blaze incident
- Handover book to children, not smartphone: Information Minister
- 15 families confined over fence
- China to send 100,000 ducks to battle Pakistan’s locust plague
- 12 Jamaat-e-Islami activists sent to Jail
- Airport underpass being launched on Bangabandhu’s birthday
- 2 detained with 66kg weed in Natore
- Drug smuggler caught at airport with yaba in stomach
- Perera, Pradeep back in Sri Lanka T20 squad
- College girl on deathbed in torture of ‘Jiner Badshah’
- Youth arrested with 10,000 pc. of yaba
- Drug dealer detained with yaba in Pirojpur
- All from Cox’s Bazar Land Acquisition Branch immediately transferred
- Quota system reformed in Class-XI admission
- 11kg silver seized at Satkhira border
- ‘Shukno Golap’ of Nahid released
- BD in top among hilsa enriched countries
- BD women’s T20 WC ends with two straight defeats
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Germany suspends cooperation with Myanmar until Rohingya repatriation
- Don’t work without appointment letter: Hasan Mahmud urges journalists
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Ways to remove dirk circle under eyes in 10 minutes!
- Bangladesh under pressure losing openers
- 4 brick kilns demolished, fined Tk 14 lakh
- Khaleda’s bail plea rejected
- Garbage stack removed from Habiganj hospital gate
- Mamata Banerjee’s poem amid Delhi violence
- Italy expats urged to stay uppermost alert
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus