Sri Lanka series will be challenging: Tamim
Published: 07:02 PM, 20 July 2019
Bangladesh's acting skipper Tamim Iqbal urged the personnel included in his side to grab the opportunity presented to them with both hands in the upcoming three-match ODI series against Sri Lanka after getting an outside chance due to the unexpected turn of events. With Shakib Al Hasan and Liton Kumar Das missing from the squad having been granted leave by the BCB for personal reasons, the strength of the tourists diminished further after losing skipper Mashrafe Mortaza and pace-bowling all-rounder Saifuddin to injury.
Taijul Islam was picked in place of Shakib, while Anamul Haque replaced Liton initially, but the latest injuries had BCB replace Mashrafe and Saifuddin with Taskin Ahmed and Farhad Reza respectively with neither of the four in the selectors' radar to play ODIs.
"I think the series is very important and who are traveling with the team have a lot to prove because a lot of experienced cricketers are not going due to injury and other personal reasons," Tamim said on Thursday (July 19). "This series will be challenging. Sri Lanka is a very strong team at home but we have done well in the past so there is no reason why we can't do it this time.
"Those who are in the squad... if they grab this opportunity with both hands then it will be better for the team as well as for them too," he added.
Tamim also said that after a below-par outing in the World Cup, he hopes to make a comeback in the upcoming series, brushing off suggestions that the responsibility of leading the side will not add pressure, given his current form. Tamim managed to score just 235 runs in eight innings in the World Cup at an average of 29.37 and though he was the third-highest run-scorer for Bangladesh after Shakib (606) and wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim (367), it was not enough for the left-handed opener considering his reputation as one of the top batsmen in the country.
"I did not think that way [that leading the side will be an added pressure as I did not score runs in the World Cup and now it will be difficult to lead the side]. I could not play to my expectation [in the World Cup] but there is a new challenge ahead and I am hoping something good will happen, let's see.
"If you think about your failure all the time then you are likely to fail again, so I am thinking what is ahead instead of what had passed away. I am trying to figure out the positives now and what I am saying is that this series is very important and we are hoping to do well as a team," he concluded.
- Australia bowled out for 250
- 231 students` result changes in review
- Protest for free elections in Russia
- Biman’s return Hajj flight lands in Dhaka
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Quader alerts AL men to BNP-Jamaat conspiracies
- BCB announces prelim squad for AFG test, Tri-series
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Cop caught taking bribe day after getting best constable award
- Facebook adds Chakma as 2nd Bangladeshi language
- Fire breaks out Delhi hospital
- Masrafe asks BCB for two months to decide future
- 4 of a family burnt in Gazipur fire
- Rawhide sale suspended till Sunday
- Priyanka Chopra reveals Jonas’ bedroom secret
- 1460 dengue patients hospitalized in 24hrs
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon
- 6 buses fined for charging extra fare
- Soumitra transferred to cabin from ICU
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Kid drowns in Shakhipur
- Smartphone for blood pressure detection
- First return Hajj flight arrives in Dhaka
- Mgst described severe suffering in govt hospital
- Russell Domingo appointed Tigers’ head coach
- Eight killed in Ukraine hotel fire
- No MoU, 2 FMs dialog only
- College student dies of dengue in Magura
- Temperature may rise slightly
- Husband arrested in triple talaq case
- All News »
- Shaykh Muhammad bin Hassan to recite Khutba at Hajj
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- Three movies to be released on Eid
- Heavy rain pours down on Hajj pilgrims at Arafat
- Karchi flood: Death toll rises to 11
- Rabeya opens her eyes, Rokeya still unconscious
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Holly Eid-ul-Azha tomorrow
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- 2m pilgrims gathered in Arafat
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Holidaymakers suffer in train schedule catastrophe
- Man. City. Everton to play tonight
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- PM visits conjoined twins Rabeya, Rukaya at CMH
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Tailback, heat forced passengers becomes ill
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 7 plays of Humayun to be aired on Eid
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC