Sri Lanka beat Bangladesh by 91-run
Published: 11:18 PM, 26 July 2019
Sri Lanka beat Bangladesh by 91 runs to give a wining farewell to Lathis Malinga in the 1st ODI of the three match series at Colombo today.
Chasing the target of 315/8 Bangladesh all out for 223 in 41.4 over. Opener Tamim Iqbal (0) went out to 1. Malinga dismissed Tamim in the 5th ball of the first over of the innings.
It was dipping, nasty yorker from Malinga and comes in very very late from a middle stump line. Tamim's reflexive stride across has him locked, and then it's too late to take it out. It's under his bat and it smashes leg stump. Bangladesh's stand-in captain can barely stand up as this craftsman sneaks it past him.
Nuan Pradeep got Mohammad Mithun (10) in the previous over. Not a great shot from Mithun as he goes far too across, and then tries to flick a dead straight ball from Pradeep, but misses. Plumb, review lost too.
Malinga, Pradeep dismantle Bangladesh top-order as Bangladesh lost their 3rd wicket to 30. Malinga sent back Soumya Sarkar (15). It was brilliance from the retiring man! Full and swinging, Soumya Sarkar can't negotiate the late movement, and is castled!
After Malinga and Pradeep, Lahiru Kumara strikes to Bangladesh innings in his first over and gave Sri Lanka 4th breakthrough.
After losing 4 to 39 Mushfiqur Rahim and Sabbir Rahman (60 off 56) added 111 run in the 5th wicket stand. Sabbir Rahman errs in judgment as he goes for a slog sweep even though there's a man at deep mid-wicket. And it's straight down his throat. Bangladesh lost their 5th wicket to 150.
Mosaddek Hossain (12) also follow Sabbir Rahman to give Sri Lanka 6th breakthrough.
Mehedi Hasan Miraz also went out in a quick succession. Miraz tries to play it down the third man but gets an edge. A good catch by the wicketkeeper and Bangladesh lost their 7th wicket to 187.
Mushfiqur Rahim tries to scoop it over the wicketkeeper but gets an edge and ends up giving an easy catch to Kusal Mendis. Before being out the wicketkeeper batsman scored 67 off 86.
Bangladesh lost their number 10 man Shafiul to 200. But Mustafizur and Rubel Hossain added 23-run in the last wicket stand and Bangladesh finished their inning with 91 runs defeat.
Earlier, Century from Kusal Perera helped Sri Lanka to post 314 for the loss of 8 wickets in the first ODI against Bangladesh at Colombo today.
After winning the toss Sri Lanka chose to bat. Shafiul Islam dealt an early blow to the hosts when he removed Avishka Fernando for seven.
Avishka went to cut a ball outside the off-stump but just managed an edge to the slip cordon where Soumya Sarkar took the catch.
Sri Lanka lost their second wicket to 107 as the brilliant second-wicket stand between Karunaratne and Perera ends on 97. Karunaratne looked to sweep Miraz after playing a few dots and gets the top edge which Mustafizur takes easily at short fine leg.
At the end of 37th over, Sri Lanka were at 231/2. Angelo Mathews 15 and Lahiru Thirimanne 6 were in the batting.
Bangladesh hit back as Soumya Sarkar and Rubel Hossain struck in consecutive overs. First Soumya sent back centurion Kusal Perera (111 off 99) then Rubel Hossain strike to sent back Kusal Mendis for 43 off 49.
Kusal Perera plays it up in the air to short fine leg and it's Mustafizur Rahman, placed there for that particular shot who takes the catch. The century stands between Mendis and Perera breaks.
A short of a length outside off goes for the cut but looks like he missed it. A mild appeal for caught-behind but the umpire is unmoved. But wait, Kusal Mendis is walking! Bangladesh have pulled it back a bit here with two quick wickets 212/4.
Angelo Mathews and Lahiru Thirimanne added 60 runs in the 5th wicket stand. Mustafizur breaks the stand to bag his first wicket. Thirmanne (25 off 35) went for the pull and is holed out at deep mid-wicket and Sri Lanka lost their 5th wicket to 273.
Shafiul Islam sent back NLTC Perera to grabbed his second wicket. It's fuller around off, Perera looks to go aerial but ends up slicing it towards deep extra cover, Soumya comes in and takes it near knee-height and Sri Lanka lost their 6th wicket to 276.
Mustafizur Rahman bagged his second wicket sending back AD Mathews (48 off 52). It was an outside off fuller length delivery from Mustafizur Rahman and Angelo Mathews tries to hit over long-off but ends up just giving a catch to Sabbir Rahman.
Shafiul Islam grabbed his 3rd wicket sent back DM de Silva (18). He gave only 9 runs in the last over and Sri Lanka ended their innings 314/8 in 50 over.
- Talks with Cameron: Suu Kyi lies over Rohingyas’ identity
- Minni’s trip to Dhaka Saturday
- Tohura star as Bangladesh draw 2-2 with Australia
- ‘Alpha’ to represent Bangladesh in Oscar
- VC Nasir’s one-day tea bill Tk 40,000!
- Fishers’ pleasure of repay dues
- Nusrat murder accused Moni gave birth in prison
- Bangladesh take on Yemen in AFC U-16 Championship tomorrow
- Milan Fashion: J-Lo struts updated jungle dress at Versace
- Dananjaya suspended for illegal action
- Simeone - `I`m not interested` in Griezmann reports
- Housewife dies of dengue in Barishal
- £6bn UK aid for Bangladesh, other climate victim countries
- KCC to get modern slaughterhouse soon
- Pea-flour to prevent dandruff-hair fall
- Huge asteroid narrowly missed Earth; NASA reveals
- Two cases filed against Firoz
- Anti-Sisi protests break out in Egypt
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- Millions march against climate change
- US to send troops, equipment to Saudi Arabia
- BSMRSTU closed over student unrest
- Heat wave may abate from some places
- Zuckerberg nixes Trump’s idea of breaking up Facebook
- Madrasa student goes missing at tourist spot
- Ranu had several lovers, director leaked
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Puja Cherry got married!
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?