Spider silk could be used as robotic muscles: study
Published: 06:16 PM, 3 March 2019
An international research team led by Chinese scientists found spider silk could contract and twist in humidity which can be used to make artificial muscles or robotic actuators.
The study published on Friday in the journal Science Advances showed that the slender spider fibers could suddenly shrink in response to changes in moisture, resulting in a strong torsional force.
The researchers from Huazhong University of Science and Technology and Massachusetts Institute of Technology suspended weight from the silk to make a kind of pendulum and then enclosed it in a chamber where they could control the relative humidity inside.
"When we increased the humidity, the pendulum started to rotate. It was out of our expectation," said the paper's co-author Liu Dabiao, associate professor at Huazhong.
The researchers identified a protein building block called "proline" in the spider's dragline silk, which is crucial to the twisting reaction. When water molecules interact with the proline, the proline's hydrogen bonds are disrupted in an asymmetrical way that leads to the rotation.
The rotation only goes in one direction, and it takes place at a threshold of about 70 percent relative humidity, according to the study.
This particular proline structure makes the twisting happen, but without it there was no twisting. The team tested a number of other materials, including human hair, but found no such motions.
Spider fiber's ability of contraction in response to moisture may be a way to make sure a web is pulled tight in response to morning dew, protecting it from damage and maximizing its responsiveness to vibration for the spider to sense its prey, according to the researchers.
They said that the property had diverse potential applications. It can be explored as actuators, devices that move to perform some activity such as controlling a valve. It can also be used as humidity-driven soft robots, humidity sensors and smart textiles, according to the study.
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Traffic sergeant’s father files writ for compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- Drug peddler killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Suspended ACC director Basir held
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- BHBCUC suspends Priya Saha
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Humanity for animal !