Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
Published: 11:18 PM, 26 March 2020 Updated: 11:45 PM, 26 March 2020
Spain virus death toll tops 4,000
Spain’s coronavirus death toll surged above 4,000 on Thursday but the increase in both fatalities and new infections slowed, leaving officials hopeful a nationwide lockdown is starting to curb the spread of the disease.
A total of 655 deaths were recorded in the country in the last 24 hours, bringing the toll to 4,089, the health ministry said.
That however was a 19 percent increase compared with Wednesday when deaths jumped 738 or 27 percent.
The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 rose 18 percent to 56,188, the health ministry said.
On Wednesday, the increase in cases was about 20 percent.
Spain currently has the world’s second-highest death toll from the disease after Italy.
– Change in direction? –
Despite a national lockdown imposed on March 14, which parliament on Thursday agreed to extend until April 11, both deaths and infections have continued to mount, with officials warning this week would be particularly bad.
Against that backdrop, the improvement was more than welcomed as suggesting the authorities might just finally be making some progress.
The recent figures “indicate a change in the trend… which make us think that we are starting to enter a phase of stabilisation,” Health Minister Salvador Illa said.
“If this general trend is confirmed… the number of cases may have neared its maximum, the peak ,” he added.
The Madrid region has borne the brunt of the epidemic with 17,166 infections — just under a third of the total — and 2,090 deaths, or 51 percent of the national figure.
The pandemic has left many hospitals overflowing with patients and brought the medical system to the brink of collapse, with Spain struggling through a lack of medical supplies for testing, treatment and protection of frontline workers.
“Emergency services are overwhelmed at the moment,” Jorge Rivera, spokesman for the main hospital in Leganes on Madrid’s southern outskirts told AFP by telephone.
“Practically the entire hospital is dedicated to fighting the coronavirus, both the intensive care unit and the general wards,” he added.
The health minister told a parliamentary commission on Thursday that Spain had inked deals with Chinese firms worth 509 million euros to address shortages such as masks and gloves for healthcare workers.
“With the purchases, we have completed in recent days, all healthcare professionals will have the means to protect themselves,” Illa said.
“The market is completely crazy,” the minister added. “Not enough masks, respirators and tests are being produced to supply the global market.”
The government wants to increase the number of coronavirus tests it carries out daily from 15,000-20,000 to 50,000, Illa said.
To achieve this Spain has ordered millions of tests from abroad and instructed local firms to start producing them.
But the government said Thursday it had had to return a batch of tests it received from a Spanish supplier that imported them from China because they were defective.
Wearing protective gloves and a face mask, Spain’s King Felipe VI on Thursday visited a massive field hospital set up in Madrid’s vast IFEMA exhibition centre for coronavirus patients.
He told reporters the site “would go down in history” as a “true example of effort, sacrifice and resilience”.
- La Liga clubs to resume full training from Monday
- 8 launches fined for taking extra passengers
- Poverty couldn`t stop Asmani
- Two more lab to detect coronavirus in Capital
- Girl commits suicide after failing in SSC exam
- 19 militants killed in military drive in Egypt
- Another 167 UK nationals leave Sylhet
- Lalmonirhat reports nine new coronavirus cases
- BNP does not think of toiling masses: Hasan Mahmud
- Amirul who took part SSC exam after burying father got GPA-5
- BFDC ready for shooting
- Malaysia’s labour market may open in Jul, BD ready
- Gunmen kill 20 in Burkina Faso
- Peru reports more than 7,000 COVID-19 cases in a day
- ‘Alor Guerrilla’ running day and night
- Coronavirus cases exceed 400,000 in Russia
- Shujeo Shyam contracts COVID-19
- Govt provides relief assistance to more than 6 crore people
- Train runs maintaining health rules: Sujan
- Noakhali reports 90 coronavirus cases in a day
- BNP leaders passing leisure time
- 5 more test positive for COVID-19 in Trishal
- 25 US cities impose curfews as protests continue
- Locust attack in India ‘a result of sin’: Zaira Wasim
- Woman dies with fever and breathing difficulties in Rajshahi
- World No Tobacco Day 2020 being observed aims to protect youth from tobacco
- Action if violating the hygiene rules: State Minister
- Cancer infected Satkhira child tests positive for COVID-19
- Coronavirus: 4 projects worth Tk 19,000 cr placing to ECNEC
- 4 die in Barishal with cold-fever within a day
- All News »
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 1532 new infected in 24 hrs, 28 die
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in knee-deep water
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Noble faces RAB interrogation
- Highest 1,975 COVID-19 cases in a day, 21 die
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Offices resume from May 31
- Wuhan lab had three live bat coronaviruses
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Country sees highest deaths in a day
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 342,396 globally
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated tomorrow
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle
- Mahathir expelled from party