Someone must take responsibility: HC
Published: 10:22 PM, 25 February 2019 Updated: 02:01 PM, 26 February 2019
Observing the fire incident of capital’s Chawkbazar is not an accident, the High Court (HC) said that it is negligence and someone has to take responsibility for it.
The HC also said that concerned people are blaming each other, it’s not right. There is a lot of development in our economy. But such incidents are destroying the dignity of the country.
An HC bench of comprising Justice FRM Nazmul Ahsan and Justice KM Kamrul Quader said this on Monday in the hearing of the three separate writ petitions to provide compensation for the Chawkbazar fire victims, relocate chemical warehouses from Old Dhaka and dismantle unapproved buildings from the area.
At the beginning of the hearing, deputy attorney general ABM Abdullah Al Mahmud sought time. Later, the court adjourned the hearing. He said that the government is very cordial about the fire incident.
The court said the Prime Minister adopted two girls after the Nimtoli fire incident that killed 124 people. “Will only being affectionate be of use? Many lives were lost again. Someone must deliver. The Prime Minister can’t do everything alone.
The court also said, “We came to know through newspapers that the Prime Minister monitored the Chawkbazar incident. She can’t run the country alone. The administration concerned should have executed the suggestions.”
Mentioning that the house owners in Old Dhaka rent their establishments for using as warehouses at 2-3 times higher rent but reside in posh areas like Gulshan and Banani, it questioned what the city corporation is doing. “They pretend not to see anything. People die on roads. What’s their fault?”
Citing newspaper reports, the HC bench said no step was taken to implement the recommendations of the probe committee after the Nimtoli fire incident. “They were responsible for executing those. We don’t know whether they’ve taken any step. We’ve to consider that they have negligence in their part if they haven’t taken any measure.”
The court also said the Old Dhaka is plagued with numerous problems. “Fire Service vehicles can’t ply the roads. ….there’ll be no building if there’s any earthquake measuring 7-8 on the Richter scale.”
On February 20, at least 67 people were killed and 41 others injured after a devastating fire broke out at a chemical warehouse and raged through several nearby buildings at Chawkbazar.
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Priya`s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Tamim to lead Tigers in SL tour
- PM reaches London
- Mashrafe rule out of Sri Lanka tour
- Jamuna devours over 300 houses
- Municipal services halted in Mathbaria, extreme sufferings
- Kid drowns in Gabindaganj floodwater
- AL to hold joint meeting Saturday
- Minni sent to jail
- PM to join envoys’ conference in London tomorrow
- Tendulkar inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- ‘All must come forward to destroy Aedes mosquitoes origin’
- `Study in India` fair starts in Dhaka
- Cricket is not a sport: Russia
- ICC introduces new rule on substitute player
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- Magnitude 5.5 quake jolts Bangladesh
- Humayun Ahmed alive through his speeches
- 13 human traffickers held in capital, Keraniganj
- Lilith’s trailer released
- Death toll hits 33 in Japan studio arson attack
- US sanctions on Myanmar not enough: UN
- Dengue check: DNCC skips holiday-leaves for two departs
- Truck overturned: Mother-son killed in Rohingya camp
- Rishan Farzi on five-day remand
- Expiry date, price must clear on drug: HC
- FaceApp occupies 15 crore subscribers’ gallery!
- Humanity for animal !
- Bangladeshis among 285 immigrants detained on Iran boarder
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- How to get HSC result
- 3 more bodies recovered from Cox’s Bazar beach