Somali attacks hit EU military convoy, US base
Published: 11:29 PM, 30 September 2019
Somali extremists have reportedly launched twin attacks on a European military convoy and a US air base, security officials say. The Islamic militant group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility.—reports DW.
The first attack struck the gate of a military airstrip operated by US special forces in the town of Belidogle, about 100 km (60 miles) west of the capital Mogadishu, officials said.
The Somali Islamic extremist group al-Shabab said it was behind the strike on the base, which is used to launch drones and train Somali troops.
Yusuf Abdourahman of the Lower Shabelle regional administration said a firefight broke out after two car bombs went off at the site's entrance.
The second attack, also involving a car bomb, hit an Italian peacekeeping convoy in Mogadishu.
"There was a car bomb targeting the EU military advisers along the industrial road. A vehicle loaded with explosive was rammed onto one of the convoy vehicles and there are casualties," Somali security officer Omar Abikar said.
Italy's Defense Ministry said in a statement that no injuries had been reported so far and that Rome was investigating the cause of the blast.
Al-Shabab is an al Qaeda-linked group fighting to overthrow the UN-backed Somali government and enforce its own harsh version of Islamic law. The rebels were expelled from Mogadishu in 2011, but they still carry out frequent attacks and bombings against government and military targets.
- PIB organizes dialogues on women and children
- Sabina Yasmin’s new song on Victory Day
- 2 arrested with 6 stolen CNG auto-rickshaw
- Martyr intellectuals showed us the way: Humayun
- JaPa paid homage to martyred intellectuals
- Riyad hails Shakib as a ‘player of one generation’
- China’s 5G handsets shipments top 5 mln in November
- AL pays homage to martyred intellectuals
- Saudi strives to develop secrete relations with Iran; reports WSJ
- Hidden Mithila: You don’t know ever
- $82 bn record fund in WB for poor nations
- Martyred Intellectuals Day observed in JU
- IU Chemistry dept gets new chairman
- Tribute paid to Martyred Intellectuals in Rajshahi
- 7 killed in South Taiwan fire in residence
- Dhaka to bat first against Sylhet
- 10 Killed in insider attack in Afghanistan
- Walton, Imrul guides Chattogram to clinch 2nd win
- Crowd erupted at Martyred Intellectual Memorial
- Daily Sangram editor placed on 3-day remand
- 48 Yrs of intellectual martyr
- Mbappe becomes fastest to score 100 club goals
- Daily Sangram editor produced in court
- Couple’s new trick in Yaba trafficking
- Boris Johnson calls national unity on Brexit
- Travel in 54 districts just by walking
- 3 robbers detained in Natore
- No evidence of rape found: Report
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- Tamabil Land Port resumes
- All News »
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- North Korea conducts ‘very important test’
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Grand opening ceremony of BPL today
- `Miss Pakistan` killed in a car crash