Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
Published: 04:25 PM, 13 January 2020
At least 43 people were killed as severe winter weather has struck parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan, with heavy snowfall, rains and flash floods, officials said as authorities struggled to clear and reopen highways and evacuate people to safer places.
In Pakistan, where 25 people were reported killed, the southwestern Balochistan province was the worst affected.
Imran Zarkon, chief of disaster management in Balochistan, said 14 people have died there in the past 24 hours, mostly when roofs collapsed amid heavy snowfall.
A heavy snowfall had forced the closure of many highways and some parts in the province were under six inches (15cm) of snow.
11 people were killed in the eastern Punjab province when the roofs of their houses caved in under heavy rains, said Abdul Sattar, an official with the state-run emergency service.
In Afghanistan, at least 18 people, including women and children, died on account of the severe weather, according to provincial officials.
Hasibullah Shaikhani, a press officer with the state ministry for disaster management, said most of the highways in Afghanistan were closed due to heavy snowfall and fears of avalanches.
Of the Afghan casualties, eight people were killed in southern Kandahar province, said Bahir Ahamdi, a spokesman for the provincial governor.
In western Herat province, seven people died, including five members of the same family, said Abdul Ahad Walizada, a spokesman for the provincial police chief.
Three people were killed in southern Helmand province, said Omar Zwak, a spokesman for the provincial governor.
Residents of the Afghan capital, Kabul, where the temperature dropped to -15 degrees Celsius (5 degrees Fahrenheit), abandoned driving and struggled to get to work on snow-covered roads. - Aljazeera
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties for baiting VIPs
- Joint initiative to resolve Rohingya crisis recommended
- Man, accused in 14 cases, killed in Kushtia gunfight
- Coronavirus in China gets incursive with death toll rising
- Litun Jira now wins scholarships
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- 172 students to get Prime Minister Gold Medal
- Death toll climbs to 18 in Delhi clashes
- Barcelona draw with Napoli
- ‘Coronavirus outbreak is inevitable in US’
- South Africa faces Australia today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services suspended
- 2 motorcyclists killed in Demra road crash
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 200 yrs old silver coins recovered from abandoned house
- Delhi clash: Death toll rises to 13
- Housewife committed suicide in Pirojpur
- Average life expectancy will be 80 by 2041
- Principal among 4 held for killing madrasa girl after rape
- $3 billion defense deal signed between US and India
- Deputy Health Minister of Iran contracts coronavirus
- Pranab, Bidhya Devi to address JS special session
- Realme launches ‘Made in Bangladesh’ phone
- `Maldives` experience should be utilized in tourism development`
- Pilkhana Tragedy: Nation pays homage to martyrs
- 2 pharmacies fined Tk 50,000 in Brahmanbaria
- Women dies in police custody
- Fraud smugglers detained with fake gold
- Japan to give more $ 10.7 million to aid Rohingya
- ‘No shortage in coronavirus test kits’
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 15 new coronavirus cases in S Korea, bringing total to 46
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Mid-air plane collision in Australia kills 4
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- Video of principal’s dance in Hindi songs goes viral