Sierra Leone grants Idris Elba, wife with honorary citizenship
Published: 10:35 AM, 21 December 2019
Idris Elba and his wife Sabrina Dhowre
Idris Elba and his wife have been granted honorary citizenship in his late father’s homeland of Sierra Leone.
Sierra Leonean authorities gave diplomatic passports Friday to the British star and his Canadian wife, Sabrina Dhowre, asking them to serve as “brand ambassadors" for the country.
While Sierra Leone is home to chimpanzees, pristine beaches and surfing, the country is more widely known as the scene of a brutal war from 1991 until 2002, which was depicted in the film ‘Blood Diamond’.
Rebounding tourism was then badly hurt again by the 2014-2016 Ebola epidemic that killed nearly 4,000 people in Sierra Leone alone from the contagious disease.
On Friday, President Julius Maada Bio had breakfast with Elba and his wife.
The leader encouraged them to help “change the narrative of Sierra Leone from a war-torn and Ebola-affected country to a country that is full of investment opportunities and one of best destinations for tourism,” a presidential spokesman said.
Elba, 47, was raised in the United Kingdom by his Sierra Leonean father and Ghanaian mother.
The actor, best known for his roles in ‘The Wire’ and ‘Luther’, was named ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ in 2018 by People magazine.
- Today’s sports on TV
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak today
- AL finalizes nomination for councilor posts in CCC polls
- Four killed in Kutubdia boat capsize
- 14 gamblers-drug dealers detained in Mymensingh
- Govt to shut 3 crore illegal smartphones
- Myanmar on financial surveillance!
- Pakistan conducts successful missile test
- No high-rise buildings along sea: PM
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- 450 of 1200 posts vacant
- Preparation for Dhaka-10 by-polls completed: Returning Officer
- Rape accused detained in Narayanganj
- BNP`s politics stuck in Khaleda`s illness: Hasan
- Interest of postal saving will be revisited: Kamal
- Teacher takes salary without signing attendance sheet!
- Three robbers detained in Jamalpur
- Mysterious ship washes up Irish coast
- Diamond Princess passengers disembark after quarantine ends
- 6 girls injured after tree falls in Noakhali
- FIFA cancels planed meeting due to coronavirus
- Walton to export smartphones in US
- Padma Bridge rail route being connected with Trans-Asian network
- Match officials for Bangladesh-Zimbabwe series
- TCB preparing for Ramadan
- Tomato to get immaculate skin
- Mashrafe’s farewell after BAN vs ZIM series!
- Bangladesh to take on Pakistan tomorrow
- ‘Problems can be solved by forming joint working group’
- Mehazabien comes with new look
- All News »
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Soumya with future wife
- Soumya to get married this month
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Good news to honey farmers
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- Sundarbans Day today
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Humayun Faridi’s 8th death anniv today
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus