Shohorbati’s Winter Pitha Mela held in city
Published: 10:13 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 10:13 PM, 1 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Zahira's Nimontron, on behalf of Shohorbati, arranged their 2nd Winter Pitha Mela (fair) in a joyous atmosphere in the city on Saturday.
The Mela continued from 3 pm to 9 pm at Jomffa Restaurant adjacent to the 300-foot Balu Bridge.
A vibrant décor gave the place a look perfect for the wintry reception along with the mouthwatering collection of pithas, courtesy of Zahira's Nimontron, which the huge number of visitors relished.
The pitha collection included Chandpakon; famous Dhup pitha of Madaripur, Dudh Chitoi, Dudh Puli along with many traditional dishes. Another feature of the Mea was pitha being baked live at the different stalls.
Besides the food and beverage, there was a collection of clothing mainly Khadi and hand-painted sarees, shawls, ornaments with a set of collectibles from Jothashilpo, Raa, Sharbari and Kaktarua - the event's co-hosts.
There also featured a drawing zone for the kids where the visitors' children delighted themselves with colours on canvasses and the enjoyable country music set the beat for the fest.
Zahira Khanam, head of Zahira's Nimontron and founder of Shohorbati, said this endeavor of hersstems solely from her personal hobby, which she started with a view to giving a traditional taste of Bangla Pitha culture to people.
"When my grandmother died the previous year, I felt that I should do something that could bring memories of her back to me. With that in mind I planned with my cousin for a small pitha festiva. That's where all of it started," she said to UNB.
She mentioned that this year they have kept other merchandise apart from the pitha and beverages so that visitors find diversity in the festival.
She thanked all the co-hosts, media partner UNB, and hoped that people will return again next year for more of her treats of traditional Bangladeshi pitha.
One visitor, Ehsanul Karim Kaisar, a textile engineer, lauded the event's coziness and said it was an amusing experience for him.
Sadia Akter Shwarna, a student visiting the mela, shared her merriment with UNB and said the different features of the event apart from the food enchanted her most.
"We feasted on a diverse collection of pithas, some of the name we came to know for the first time today. Visiting stalls of souvenirs and dresses were a pleasant experience too," she added.
The festival was presented by Shohorbati with co-hosts being Jothashipo, Sharbari, Raa and Kaktarua while United News of Bangladesh (UNB) was the media partner.
- Superbugs linked to 80% deaths in Bangladeshi ICUs
- Slower internet for seven days more
- Rana’s bail remain suspend in double murder case
- RK Mission`s disputed teacher expelled
- PM leaves Brunei for home
- Vinicius is finally set to return to action
- Woe to 6 upazilas for Rangamati launch shutdown
- Parliament session begin tomorrow
- Brunei backing Bangladesh in energy sector
- Govt responsibility to ensure expatriates’ welfare: PM
- Consulting firm for Payra port terminal appointed
- Sri Lanka detains Syrian in investigation of blasts
- Only one physician, but in training!
- Innovative child malaria vaccine to be tested
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- Probe report of Abrar’s case May 21
- Panic in class as beehives in school
- 20 gold bars worth Tk 1.15cr recovered at Sylhet airport
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ tomorrow
- Heat wave may spread
- World Books and Copyright Day today
- Myanmar top court rejects Reuters journalists` appeal
- Sri Lanka observes 3-min silence for bomb victims
- Updating voter list begins today
- SL blasts: 40 suspects arrested, toll up to 310
- Zayan’s body to reach home tomorrow
- 10 dead, 30 hurt as Nigeria cop rams car into crowd
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Water transport workers’ strike detaches Bhola
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Nusrat murder: Suspect Moni held
- Female magistrates for testimonies of sexual assault victims
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Adele separates from husband