Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
Published: 09:47 AM, 17 May 2019 Updated: 11:07 AM, 17 May 2019
Today is the 38th homecoming day of Prime Minister and Awami League President Sheikh Hasina. On May 17 in 1981, she returned after a long exile.
“I have come to stay beside the people of Bangladesh. I have taken part in the struggle for freedom. I have not come to be the leader of Awami League. I want to stay beside you as your sister, as your daughter, and as a worker of Awami League, who believes in the ideals of Bangabandhu,” she told a huge mass at Manik Mia avenue on the day.
These were the first public remarks of Sheikh Hasina on her return home.
To mark the day, ruling Awami League (AL) and other political and social organization have chalked out elaborate programs.
On Thursday, President M Abdul Hamid issued a message greeting Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on her homecoming day.
He said, “Sheikh Hasina started movements for restoring democracy in the country. Subsequently, the dictatorship had collapsed amid a mass movement in 90s and democracy got victory,” he added.
“Under her leadership, Awami League (AL) won the general election on June 12 in 1996 and formed the government,” Hamid said.
“Under the leadership of Sheikh Hasina, 14-alliance has created a history by assuming the state power for the third consecutive term through December 30 polls and is running the government successfully,” the President added.
Despite different problems, the country is moving ahead because of Sheikh Hasina’s farsighted and strong leadership and people-oriented activities, he said.
Describing the launching of country’s first satellite Bangabandhu-I as a milestone, Hamid said, “Sheikh Hasina has taken ‘Vision 2021’ and ‘Vision 2041′ programs to turn the country into a happy and prosperous Sonar Bangla.”
He said the programs are taken by Sheikh Hasina to ensure democracy, development, and welfare for the people are being considered as a role model in the world.
President Abdul Hamid wished her and her family members long life, prosperity and continuous success of her government.
He also wished all programs marking the birth centenary of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 2020 and the county’s golden jubilee in 2021 a success.
A large number of people had gathered outside the Kurmitola Airport in Dhaka to receive Sheikh Hasina on the homecoming. They had come from every corner of the country and the whole thoroughfare from the Farmgate point to Kurmitola in the city was full of jubilant crowd.
Earlier, Awami League in its February 14-16 council meeting in 1981 elected Sheikh Hasina as the president of the party.
After a long hovering over the airport, an aircraft of Indian Airlines carrying Sheikh Hasina from New Delhi via Kolkata, touched the runway at 4:30 pm.
Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman along with his family members was brutally killed on August 15, 1975. Luckily his daughters, Sheikh Hasina and Sheikh Rehana, were in Germany then, and thus became the survivors.
Wishing Sheikh Hasina long life and good health, AL General Secretary and Road, Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, in a statement, said she has made a huge contribution to development and well-being of the country.
He urged the party leaders, activists, and like-minded organizations as well as the people of the country to observe the day through various programs, including doa and milad mahfils, offering prayers at places of worship, bringing out processions and holding discussions, across the country.
Marking the day, Bangladesh Awami League (AL) will hold a discussion on Friday at the Engineers Institution’ Ramna with AL Presidium Member and Deputy Leader of the House Syeda Sajeda Chowdhury in the chair.
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- BNP hatching conspiracy to create anarchy: Nasim
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Sugar rise during pregnancy could make childhood obesity
- Laser technique could unlock use of tough material
- Youths to provide jobs instead of looking for employment: Palak
- Evolution of Puppy Dog eyes
- ‘Sinking’ Mughal-era mosque attracts visitors!
- President visits Imam Bukhari (R) mazar
- Atiqul wants to work for children
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- `Please don`t use bad words for players`: Amir to fans
- No charge for client on ‘bKash- Rocket’ balance check
- Fine, if ads on city’s wall, trees!
- Youth ‘kills mother, rapes daughter’
- Mash reluctant to talk about retirement
- Morgan breaks record with six-hitting, England post 397
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Betna River can be crossed walking
- HC orders ‘stern action’ against chemical use in fruits
- Kalyanpur petrol pump fire doused
- Rape allegation against JP Secretary General
- ECNEC approves 11 projects involving Tk 8,052cr
- HM explains posting of Addl SP to Thana as OC
- Massive fire breaks out at Kalyanpur petrol pump
- Trump wants to deport millions US residents
- Give your helping hand for meritorious student`s treatment
- Gold, silver price abated
- GSB discovered ‘Iron ore mine’ in Dinajpur!
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- JS budget session begins today
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- Uday Hakim joins risingbd as Advisory Editor
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20