Sheikh Hasina casts her vote
Published: 08:27 AM, 30 December 2018 Updated: 12:22 PM, 30 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Awami League President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina cast her vote in the 11th parliamentary elections on Sunday morning.
She cast her vote at the Dhaka City College center at Dhanmondi at 8:00 am. Bangabandhu’s younger daughter Sheikh Rehana and Sheikh Hasina’s daughter Saima Wazed Putul and Barrister Sheikh Fazley Noor Taposh were present at this time.
Amid much enthusiasm and festivity, voting in the parliamentary elections began at 8:00 am and will continue till 4:00 pm without any break.
A total of 1,861 candidates are vying for the polls. Among them, 1,733 are from political parties and 128 independents.
A total of 10, 42, 38,677 voters, including 5, 25, 72,365 male and 5,16,66,312 female, will cast their votes at 206,477 polling booths of the 40,183 voting centers in 299 constituencies across the country.
However, the election in Gaibandha-3 constituency has been deferred due to the death of a candidate and voting for the seat will be held on January 27.
The EC will take votes using Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) at all polling booths in six constituencies for the first time. The constituencies are- Dhaka-6 and 13, Chattogram-9, Rangpur-3, Khulna-2 and Satkhira-2.
In compliance with new electoral rules, a total of 39 registered political parties are contesting the polls.
About 608,000 members of law enforcement agencies, 66 returning officers, will perform their responsibilities to conduct the election across the country.
A total of 4,0183 presiding officers, 20, 7,312 assistant presiding officers and 4,14,624 polling officers have been appointed for conducting the election while about 1,328 executive magistrates will be deployed and 640 judicial magistrates will work in 122 electoral inquiry committees during the polls.
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Ex-hockey captain Ibrahim Saber passes away
- Bangladeshis stuck off Tunisia disembark
- Naogaon youth admits to raping girl after killing her mother
- 3 twin sisters of Mymensingh rescued
- UN expert blames Saudi for Khasuggi Killing
- 4 charged with murder over downing of MH17
- Bangladesh made fastest growth in Asia-Pacific region
- Use your phone as a robot to avoid boring work !
- Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
- Monkeys face climate change extinction threat
- Dubai’s Quranic Park landscape to express story of Islam!
- PCB to review cricket side, support personnel`s performance
- Upbeat Tigers take on Australia tomorrow
- SC upholds HC order on minimum age for FF
- UNO to get Pajero worth Tk 90 lakh
- Bangladesh sets global model in cutting poverty says PM in JS
- World No Tobacco Day tomorrow
- New Zealand restrict South Africa to 241
- Colorful pictures emblazon schools environment
- Govt will identify 30 lakh martyrs: PM
- Hilsa’s abundance in Padma-Meghna
- Quader asks to form new committees before national council
- 108th birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal tomorrow
- India opener Dhawan out of World Cup
- Govt to introduce health insurance for all: PM
- Jubo League leader stabbed dead in Madaripur
- Dr Nurun Nahar made IU law dept chairperson
- Navy Chief returns home
- Selima,Tuku in BNP’s standing committee
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- England wins beating Windies
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry