Sheikh Hasina casts her vote
Published: 08:27 AM, 30 December 2018 Updated: 12:22 PM, 30 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Awami League President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina cast her vote in the 11th parliamentary elections on Sunday morning.
She cast her vote at the Dhaka City College center at Dhanmondi at 8:00 am. Bangabandhu’s younger daughter Sheikh Rehana and Sheikh Hasina’s daughter Saima Wazed Putul and Barrister Sheikh Fazley Noor Taposh were present at this time.
Amid much enthusiasm and festivity, voting in the parliamentary elections began at 8:00 am and will continue till 4:00 pm without any break.
A total of 1,861 candidates are vying for the polls. Among them, 1,733 are from political parties and 128 independents.
A total of 10, 42, 38,677 voters, including 5, 25, 72,365 male and 5,16,66,312 female, will cast their votes at 206,477 polling booths of the 40,183 voting centers in 299 constituencies across the country.
However, the election in Gaibandha-3 constituency has been deferred due to the death of a candidate and voting for the seat will be held on January 27.
The EC will take votes using Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) at all polling booths in six constituencies for the first time. The constituencies are- Dhaka-6 and 13, Chattogram-9, Rangpur-3, Khulna-2 and Satkhira-2.
In compliance with new electoral rules, a total of 39 registered political parties are contesting the polls.
About 608,000 members of law enforcement agencies, 66 returning officers, will perform their responsibilities to conduct the election across the country.
A total of 4,0183 presiding officers, 20, 7,312 assistant presiding officers and 4,14,624 polling officers have been appointed for conducting the election while about 1,328 executive magistrates will be deployed and 640 judicial magistrates will work in 122 electoral inquiry committees during the polls.
- British man becomes 1st to fly around the world on a gyrocopter
- Three schoolgirls saved from child marriage
- 15 EC staffs involved in providing NIDs to Rohingyas
- Key EU countries agree on sea migrant redistribution scheme
- Suu Kyi could face trial
- Madrasa student commits suicide in Sunamganj
- Mysterious ‘Sleepy Hollow’ in Kazakhstan village
- One killed in Sherpur clash
- NBR moves to freeze GK Shamim`s bank accounts
- Australia postpone October T20 series
- Bangladesh to play T-10 League
- Facebook to appoint local representatives in Bangladesh
- Onion import begins from Myanmar-Turkey-Egypt
- Taste the delicious ‘Egg Pickle’
- Police raids Fu-Wang Club
- What to do if your credit card is lost
- Tigers` main challenge is to retain skill and mentality
- Bangladesh thru semifinal after 0-0 draw over India
- 35 at wedding party killed during nearby Afghan army raid
- 2 to die for killing housewife in Jhalakati
- Close-up star Liza admitted to hospital
- Students failing in all, won`t able to take part exam
- There is nothing to say like ‘Raghob Boal’: HM
- Israeli president to meet Netanyahu, Gantz
- Silent preparation in JaPa with city polls
- ‘PM left with a strong message at airport’
- Upbeat Tigers eying first T20 trophy
- ‘Militants shuttled regularly as bombs made from here’
- Mallory or Hillary - who really was 1st to climb Everest?
- Probe report against SK Sinha Oct 29
- All News »
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Lalbagh Fort: Secret Tunnels and historical mysteries
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- Chikon Kala: Jungle of insatiable demons
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Bakarkhani, symbol of an ‘immortal love’ story
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Twin Town: An unsolved mystery of India
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mehazabien reacted on social media
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- Puja Cherry got married!
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- Gaur Nagar: The capital of early Bengal
- Ben Ali: The autocrat’s anomie lit-up Arab Spring
- BUP Film Fest-2019 begins Monday
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?