Shakrain: Old Dhaka’s traditional festival
Published: 03:42 PM, 14 January 2019 Updated: 03:45 PM, 14 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Shakrain festival is also known as Poush Sankranti or kite festival. People of different religions and different age groups of the profession will take part in the festival.
The festival is started at the beginning of the Bangla month of Magh and the first phase will begin with fireworks.
The dawn frenzy starts from the morning and begins with the rhyme of music. The festival is participate with the people of Old Dhaka in the rooftop of each house. The festival loquacity increases with the number of kites in the sky.
Shakrain festival begins with the kite festival that was introduced by the Nawab Nazim in the year of 1740 in Old Dhaka. From then the kite festival is celebrated with enthusiasts in Dhaka.
‘Poush Sankranti’ another program of Shakrain, is a traditional day of Old Dhaka. On this day, the people of Shakhari Bazar, Rai Saheb Bazar, Bangshal, Bangla Bazar, Sadarghat, Dayaganj, Murgitola, Kagojitola, Gandaria, Bainanagar, Laxmibazar, Singtola, Sutrapur, Dhupkhola, Jagannath University area, Court Kacheri area of old Dhaka used to fly and organize kites for the whole day.
Winter is one of the most comfortable times of the year in this region; this is a befitting celebration to enjoy with friends and family throughout the years.
The festivity does not halt with the setting of the sun. The night skies become lit with fireworks and across the roofs, bold displays of fire-breathing and other flame stunts are seen. If you cannot get enough of fireworks and itching for an occasion to see more this January, so do not miss this evening.
When night falls, fireworks light up the sky of old Dhaka. Flame-eaters also gather on the roofs to entertain people with their skills of manipulating fire.
The much anticipated kite-flying competition is scheduled to take place today afternoon as the congested rooftops of Old Dhaka will be decorated tastefully.
The festivities will mark another Bangla tradition which is rooted deep within joyous and fun-loving culture.
This day is also celebrated by the Hindu community in India, Nepal and Bangladesh in many cultural forms, with a variety of names like ‘Maghesangkranti’, (Nepal), ‘Saakrat’ (Delhi and Haryana), ‘Uttarayan’ (Gujarat), ‘Maghi’ (Punjab) and many more.
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Psychologists solve mystery of songbird learning
- Mansur pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 6 new ships to join BSC fleet
- Rare yellow cardinal caught on camera
- World Meteorological Day tomorrow
- Abrar’s parents meet PM
- Death toll rises to 7 in Barishal road crash’
- 24h Anti-drug drives detained 48 in Dhaka
- 6 hijackers detained in Tongi
- 1650 dev projects progress laudable in FY18
- Death toll rise 47 in China chemical plant blast
- Lightning strikes killed 1 in Habiganj
- Edu Minister criticized teachers for ‘Coaching’
- NZ PM received death threats
- Argentina to train up Bangladeshi footballers
- ‘Shark plane’ in Bangladesh
- Orchita Sporshia in Makkah to perform Umrah
- Will take charge of Ducsu: VP Noor
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Balaka bus hit Menon’s car
- Emilia Clarke reveals she suffered two near-fatal brain aneurysms
- Woman`s throat-slit body found in Bagerhat
- 2 powerful cyclones bear down on North Australian coast
- Commercial banana farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Surma-Dhanu rivers in hand of influential occupiers
- Unidentifind woman killed in Narsingdi road crash
- Two US soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
- Five drug traders among 19 held in Dinajpur
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police