Shakrain: Old Dhaka’s traditional festival
Published: 03:42 PM, 14 January 2019 Updated: 03:45 PM, 14 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Shakrain festival is also known as Poush Sankranti or kite festival. People of different religions and different age groups of the profession will take part in the festival.
The festival is started at the beginning of the Bangla month of Magh and the first phase will begin with fireworks.
The dawn frenzy starts from the morning and begins with the rhyme of music. The festival is participate with the people of Old Dhaka in the rooftop of each house. The festival loquacity increases with the number of kites in the sky.
Shakrain festival begins with the kite festival that was introduced by the Nawab Nazim in the year of 1740 in Old Dhaka. From then the kite festival is celebrated with enthusiasts in Dhaka.
‘Poush Sankranti’ another program of Shakrain, is a traditional day of Old Dhaka. On this day, the people of Shakhari Bazar, Rai Saheb Bazar, Bangshal, Bangla Bazar, Sadarghat, Dayaganj, Murgitola, Kagojitola, Gandaria, Bainanagar, Laxmibazar, Singtola, Sutrapur, Dhupkhola, Jagannath University area, Court Kacheri area of old Dhaka used to fly and organize kites for the whole day.
Winter is one of the most comfortable times of the year in this region; this is a befitting celebration to enjoy with friends and family throughout the years.
The festivity does not halt with the setting of the sun. The night skies become lit with fireworks and across the roofs, bold displays of fire-breathing and other flame stunts are seen. If you cannot get enough of fireworks and itching for an occasion to see more this January, so do not miss this evening.
When night falls, fireworks light up the sky of old Dhaka. Flame-eaters also gather on the roofs to entertain people with their skills of manipulating fire.
The much anticipated kite-flying competition is scheduled to take place today afternoon as the congested rooftops of Old Dhaka will be decorated tastefully.
The festivities will mark another Bangla tradition which is rooted deep within joyous and fun-loving culture.
This day is also celebrated by the Hindu community in India, Nepal and Bangladesh in many cultural forms, with a variety of names like ‘Maghesangkranti’, (Nepal), ‘Saakrat’ (Delhi and Haryana), ‘Uttarayan’ (Gujarat), ‘Maghi’ (Punjab) and many more.
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Tariff Commission Act gets Cabinet nod
- Shakib turned Pooran after Lewis
- Impotent injection for rapist
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- Firemen at risk in service office
- Revenue will be billions below forecast: Huawei CEO
- Mother split child`s throat
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem sent to jail
- Innovation of artificial lungs by Mou-Akhi-Bipasha
- Rangpur city polluted than Dhaka, Cumilla in safe zone
- UN to adopt tougher policy against Myanmar
- No gas supply to Kawla, Zia Colony for 9hrs today
- Heat weave may continue
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- 18 killed, 29 injured in Venezuela road crash
- OC Moazzem handed over to Feni police
- Moazzem to be produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal today
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Shahid says fight with Mira can last 15 days
- Tigers take on WI a must-win WC match
- 5th phase polls in 23 UZs tomorrow
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- Class XI admission results published
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- JS budget session begins today
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held