Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
Published: 11:22 PM, 24 June 2019 Updated: 04:06 PM, 25 June 2019
Shakib Al Hasan's all-round performance helped Bangladesh to beat Afghanistan by 62-run in the 31st match, ICC Cricket World Cup at Southampton. Shakib bagged 5 wickets for 29 runs and he made 51 runs with the bat that helped Bangladesh to knocked down Afghanistan. With this win Bangladesh climb to 5th position of the points table.
Chasing the target of 263 Afghanistan lost their 1st wicket to 49. Shakib Al Hasan strikes to his very first over to send back Rahmat Shah for 24 in 10.5 over.
Mosaddek Hossain sends back Hashmatullah Shahidi (11 off 31) as Afghanistan lost their 2nd wickets to 79/2 in 20.5 over. It was a lovely flight from Mosaddek Hossain to Hashmatullah Shahidi, and stumping easily.
Shakib Al Hasan removed dangerous Gulbadin Naib (47 off 75) and Mohammad Nabi (0) in the 1st and 3rd ball of 29th over and Afghanistan lost their 4th wickets to 104/4.
It was a beauty flighted on the fourth stump and skidded on with Nabi's technique exposed. He gave a half-hearted stride forward prodding with a gap between bat and pad. The ball clips the inside edge before ricocheting onto leg stump. Shakib is rocking this tournament! Gulbadin drives to Liton at short cover who catches smartly in front of his body.
Left-hand spinner Shakib has removed Ashgar Afghan (20 off 38) to get his 4th wicket. Asghar was bogged down and looked desperate to get off strike previous ball. He shuffles back and forth side to side across the crease as Shakib approached this time and finally stopped moving with his feet outside leg stump as Shakib floated one full on middle. Asghar goes for the slog sweep as a release shot in frustration, too much elevation and not enough distance. Basic catch taken at waist height 8 yards in from the rope.
Liton Das's direct through helped Bangladesh to sent back Ikram (11) and Afghanistan lost their 6th wicket to 132 in 35.1 over.
Samiullah Shinwari was looking to flick this length ball from middle stump and deflected it into the leg side...and Ikram has made a lazy attempt to get back in at the non-striker's end. Just plonks it in and the direct hit has caught him short. It was a poor run attempt to start off, but the end could have been so different.
AFG 188/7, It floated away from Shakib Al Hasan and Najib ran down the pitch...and eventually right past the ball. No chance of coming back after missing on this attempted slog.
Shakib Al Hasan is the first Bangladeshi player to get a fifer in a World Cup match.
Mustafizur creeps up on Rashid with a skiddy delivery, and the attempted heave comes off the splice, landing in Mortaza's mitts at mid-wicket and Afghanistan lost their 8th wicket to 191/8.
Mustafizur has his second, and it's a lovely off-cutter, drawing a tiny edge from the tail-ender. Bangladesh need one more wicket.
Saifuddin cleans up, taking out Mujeeb's middle stump as the number 11 swings across the line. Afghanistan all out for 200 in 47 over. Bangladesh win by 62 runs!
Earlier, Mushfiqur Rahim's 83 off 87, Shakib Al Hasan's 51 off 69 helped Bangladesh to post 262/7 against Afghanistan in their 7th World Cup match at Southampton, England.
After winning the toss Afghanistan asked Bangladesh to bat first. Bangladesh lost their 1st wicket to 23 as Liton Das dismissed by Mujeeb Ur Rahman. The right-handed batsman tried to clear Mujeeb through the cover area. But is lofted drive found a fielder on the line who took a super low catch to remove Liton for 16 off 17.
Tamim Iqbal and Shakib Al Hasan made 59 runs in the 2nd wicket stand. Afghanistan off-spinner Mohammad Nabi bowled opener, Tamim Iqbal, as Bangladesh lost their 2nd wickets to 82/2. The ball crashes into the middle, and he departs for a rather pedestrian 36-ball 53.
After Tamim's departure, Mushfiqur and Shakib stand for Bangladesh. Tigers lost their 3rd wicket to 143/3 as Mujeeb ur Rahman gets Shakib Al Hasan trapped in front. A length ball that came inside to the left-hander and hits him on the pads. Shabid does not review it as he walks off after scoring 51.
After Shakib went out Soumya Sarkar also send back by Mujeeb. Soumya tries to flick a Mujeeb ur Rahman delivery but the ball skids and hits his pads. Given out but Sarkar takes the review. The ball seems to be just hitting the leg stump and that's the end of Soumya.
After Soumya departs for only 3 Mushfiqur Rahim and Mahmudullah made crucial 56 runs stand in the 5th wicket. Mahmudullah went out to while tried to hit Gulbadin over mid-on. Bangladesh loses its fifth wicket to 207/5 in 42.6 over.
Musfiqur made another 44-run stand with Mosaddek in the 6th wicket stand. Before went out to Dawlat Zadran Mushfiqur made top score 83 off 87 balls. Mosaddek Hossain's 35 off 34 helped Bangladesh to score 262/7 in 50 over.
For Afghanistan Mujeeb Ur Rahman took 3 for 39 and skipper Gulbadin Naib took 2 for 56.
- Third prime accused Rishan Farazi held
- Hearing on writ challenges rickshaw ban today
- Writ filed seeking compensation of Tk 1cr for victim
- PM inaugurates ‘National Fisheries Week-2019’
- Water level of Jamuna rises, 50 villages flooded
- Elon Musk wants to merge human brains with AI
- New EvilGnome Backdoor Spies on Linux Users, Steals Their Files
- Message in a bottle written 50 yrs ago found in Australia
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad wasn`t just my brother but teacher: GM Quader
- Old Dhaka building collapse: Father-Son’s bodies recovered
- Inzamam to step down as Pakistan chief selector
- Modeling early meteorite impacts on the moon
- Did Leonardo da Vinci have ADHD?
- ‘I am innocent’; claimed ex-OC Moazzem
- Kholi losing captaincy!
- 20 thou people victim in Patgram road collapse
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Mango-laden truck falls into ditch, kills 2
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- England face Australia in high-voltage semis today
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN