Protest against Khaleda’s conviction
BNP’s 6-hr mass hunger strike begins
Published: 11:52 AM, 1 November 2018 Updated: 11:52 AM, 1 November 2018
BNP leaders and activists start six-hour mass hunger strike in the capital on Thursday
As part of its countrywide programme, BNP leaders and activists started observing a six-hour mass hunger strike in the capital on Thursday, protesting the conviction of its chairperson Khaleda Zia in Zia Charitable Trust graft case.
The protest programme began around 10:00 am at Mohanagar Natya Mancha in the capital and it will continue till 4:00 pm.
Several hundred leaders and activists joined the programme amid tight vigilance by police.
BNP senior leaders, including its secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, is scheduled to address the programme.
Besides, the leaders of other political parties, pro-BNP intellectuals and professionals are likely to express their solidarity with the programme.
Similar programmes are being observed in other districts and metropolitan cities.
On Wednesday, the party formed human chains in the capital and elsewhere in the country while staged demonstrations on Tuesday.
BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi on Monday announced a three-day countrywide programme, including formation of human chains, protesting the conviction of Khaleda Zia in the graft case.
On Monday, a Dhaka court sentenced BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and three others to seven years' rigorous imprisonment each in the much-talked-about graft case.
- Washington declares ‘Bangladesh Day’ today
- Schoolgirl killed as leguna fell into ditch in Cumilla
- Obaidul Quader shifted to cabin from ICU
- Rain or thundershowers with gusty wind likely
- Google doodle celebrates Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Barca wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- La Liga wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Independence Day
- President, PM pays homage to Liberation War heroes
- Nation celebrating 49th Independence Day
- Build advance country being imbued with patriotism: PM
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- Paleontologists report world`s biggest Tyrannosaurus rex
- Probe into case against Shahidul to remain halted
- JCD leader held over derogatory remarks on Liberation War
- ACC`s charge sheet accused 12 incl Sonali Bank GM
- BCB to sell jersey ahead of World Cup
- Argentina players don`t deserve to wear the shirt: Maradona
- DAE upbeat on bumper mango production
- DCCI urged Chinese investors
- Zidane starts operation Mbappe
- Chhagalnaiya upazila election stayed
- All News »
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- Two drug traders killed in Teknaf gunfight
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery underway
- Man detained for anti-state campaign in capital
- PM hands over Independence Award