Take action against 4 officials over Nayapaltan incident: BNP
Published: 05:32 PM, 20 November 2018 Updated: 05:32 PM, 20 November 2018
BNP on Tuesday asked the Election Commission to take punitive action against four government officials, including its secretary and the Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) commissioner, over the recent Nayapaltan incident.
It made the demand in a letter, signed by its secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, sent to Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda.
A BNP delegation, led by joint secretary general Moazzem Hossain Alal, handed over the letter to EC Secretary Helal Uddin Ahmed on Tuesday noon.
BNP alleged that the four officials instigated the Nayapaltan incident and the matters related to the filing of false cases against BNP leaders and activists.
The two other officials are EC joint secretary Farhad Ahammad Khan and the DMP Deputy Police Commissioner concerned.
The EC joint secretary signed an EC letter sent to the Inspector General of Police on November 13 asking him to enforce the electoral code of conduct.
The EC issued the directives a day after the end of collection and submission of AL nomination forms, the letter said.
In the letter, BNP alleged that the EC secretary earlier defined gathering of nomination seekers and their supporters in front of the BNP office as a violation of the electoral code of conduct. "EC Secretary Helal Uddin Ahmed's misleading remarks in the media and DMP Commissioner Asaduzzaman Mia's (recent) remarks clearly instigated the incident," the letter reads.
At least 50 people, including 23 policemen, were injured in a clash between BNP leaders and activists and law enforcers in front of the party's Nayapaltan central office on the third day of its nomination-form sale on Wednesday.
Police lobbed teargas shells, rubber bullets and charged baton on the BNP men while two police cars were torched during the clash.
However, both the government and BNP traded a blame game over the clash ahead of the national election billed for December 30.
BNP also handed over four other letters, containing a number of demands for ensuring a level-playing field ahead of the 11th parliamentary elections slated for December 30, to the EC secretary.
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Trump walks out on Democrats in fury over Russia probe
- Aspirin `safe` for brain-bleed strokes
- Why N Korea called Biden an `imbecile`
- Record groundnut output makes farmers happy
- Two electrocuted in Bagerhat
- Voting on suspended 5 upazila on June 18
- Both BPL football matches end in draw
- Formation of the moon brought water to Earth
- Indo-Bangla ties to remain same whoever elected in India: Quader
- Saudi to execute 3 prominent scholars after Ramadan
- BB enhances usance period for raw materials import
- India’s EC rejects ballot tampering allegation
- US to legalize human composting
- Double duty to deject rice import
- HC for installation of fire extinguishers in all motor vehicles
- PM instructed to probe ‘fire in paddy field’
- Mashrafe leaves Dhaka to join team in England
- Shemai maker busy before Eid in Dinajpur
- Shakib reclaims top spot in ODI all-rounder rankings
- Bengal tiger number rises in Sundarbans
- Pakistani children worst affected in HIV outbreak
- Du’a of Intent to Fast and Breaking it
- `Papaya Juice` in Iftar
- UN to honor 12 Bangladeshi peacekeepers
- HC expressed anger over Greenline’s apathy
- Six dead in Indonesia post-election unrest
- Highest power generation recorded
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader returns home this evening
- Quader to join his office today
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- President reaches London
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Tk 76 lakh needed for testing Wasa water
- Robert Pattinson cast to play new Batman
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- Today’s sports on TV
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina prayed like mother: Quader
- Saudi Arabia to provide PR green card